"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #71
Head Chef

Lisa Mmac----- Does South Africa (or is it the Republic of South Africa, forgive my ignorance) have as many diverse cuisines as the U.S.?

I'm as curious about those as you are about ours.

Oh, and as soon as you pick the seven dishes from the U.S. get ready to hear howls of (gentle outrage) from many members here. I'll try not to join in.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Lisa Mmac----- Does South Africa (or is it the Republic of South Africa, forgive my ignorance) have as many diverse cuisines as the U.S.?

I'm as curious about those as you are about ours.

Oh, and as soon as you pick the seven dishes from the U.S. get ready to hear howls of (gentle outrage) from many members here. I'll try not to join in.
Hi cave76 and thanks for your interest. Officially Rep of South Africa, but we usually just say South Africa.

Bearing in mind that SA is a much smaller country than the USA (it's not even twice the size of Texas) we do have a fair amount of diversity in our cuisine, partly from the European influence from Dutch, British, German, French, Italian, Indian and Portuguese settlers to name a few, as well as the slaves from Indonesia who had quite an influence on the cuisine of especially the Western Cape area around Cape Town. As well as the African influence. Cooking with spices is quite a big thing in SA due to the Indian and Indonesian/Malay influences. The native food in SA is mainly meat and maize (corn) with some green vegetables. I think in the USA you have taken specialities and dishes from Europe and owned them and adapted them to USA far more than is the case in SA. Many popular dishes are recognized as being from their country of origin and not particularly adapted to SA. We have some really delicious dishes though, which I will post here when I have the time.

http://lisaliaison.blogspot.com/
Lisa Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #73
Head Chef

@Lisa Mac----- I'd love to read some of the recipes you've collected from SA.

BTW---- I tried clicking on your blogspot link but Chrome browser couldn't find it. Any way I can read it? Perhaps you have recipes there?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #74
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
@Lisa Mac----- I'd love to read some of the recipes you've collected from SA.

BTW---- I tried clicking on your blogspot link but Chrome browser couldn't find it. Any way I can read it? Perhaps you have recipes there?
The link has been fixed.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #75
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The link has been fixed.
Thank you! Now I'll start reading.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #76
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Thank you! Now I'll start reading.
Oh good. I've only been blogging for a couple of months so I have a long way to go. Will be posting some South African recipes.

Next week I'm away on vacation to the other side of South Africa, in the Drakensberg Mountains. Hopefully I will be able to report on some good food from those parts.

Lx

Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Mac View Post
That's so interesting. I was wondering how long the rest of the world had been eating Turkey.

That reminds me of a little ditty we used to say in gradeschool.

"Austria got Hungary and ate Turkey in Greece."
Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #78
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
As I mentioned before, there's nothing more American than a Thanksgiving feast, and for the most part, it's the same all over the country.
I agree! But we need to add dumplings on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Mac View Post
What I find interesting as that what you call biscuits, we call scones. And what we call biscuits you call cookies. We talk about chocolate chip biscuits.
The scones that I've had are sweeter than biscuits, but the texture is similar. I love biscuits.....and cookies.....

Don't forget Chips vs Fries and Crisps vs Chips.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #79
Assistant Cook

Quote:
The scones that I've had are sweeter than biscuits, but the texture is similar. I love biscuits.....and cookies.....
Yes, we eat our scones with jam and whipped cream, whereas you eat your biscuits with gravy. I'm definitely going to do biscuits (USA style) one way or the other for my USA week. Probably with Sausage Gravy which seems to be a popular way of serving them.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We put butter and jam/jelly on our biscuits, too. Sometimes honey. Sometimes sausage, egg and cheese. Biscuits are basically a blank slate for sweet or savory.

Tags
food