"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Rather Odd - Bread Woes

Last week I made a batch of ordinary white bread dough. mixed, left torise overnight and then knocked it back. Cut the batch of dough as near as possible into two equal portions, shaped it and put the two pieces into identical 1lb loaf tins. Set it to prove in a gently warm place and when they had risen baked them side by side in a reliable oven.

One was very dense in texture and not at all pleasant in flavour. The other was perfect and tasted beautiful! Weird!

Been making bead since I was 14 or 15 years old and have never had such peculiarly different results

Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Could it have been something in the loaf pan?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Things that go bump in the night.

When you say Dense, do you mean like a French bread loaf?
When you say the loaf tastes weird, Unpleasant weird, or just Different weird? Do you have Sour Dough breads in the UK, would you compare the flavor to that kind of bread.

It doesn't seem possible to create a sour dough overnight, since one needs to develop the Starter/ fermentation process over a period of time. Do you put Milk in your bread recipe Maybe the milk turned sour overnight in the one loaf.

I am so not a bread maker, If I were to do this, probably both my loaves would turn out Dense. Still, it is curious that both loaves did not turn out the same.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Something everyone should be aware of when attempting to make bread dough. The quality of the dough is dependent upon certain strains of yeast. Using the packaged it very reliable, but left exposed to the air for long periods can be left to being invaded by wild yeast. If you make a starter from scratch, it's a hit or miss proposition as to whether it will work. Wild yeast, the kind that comes into your house from outdoors, may or may not taste good when made into bread. Strains of yeast are different from coast to coast, and normally have about a thirty mile range before another strain of yeast dominates and takes over. Either it's good or bad, and there's no way of knowing without testing it in a loaf of bread.
My home is about 1/2 mile from another house I used to live in and tried making sourdough. It never worked over there, but this house is closer to vast fields and tall grasses, which may make the wild yeast over here a much better variety. In any case, it's different and makes good bread!
Also, I never leave my dough overnight to rise. It dries out too much and the texture (crumb) goes south.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

Been making bead since I was 14 or 15 years old and have never had such peculiarly different results
So you mean to say you've been making bread for couple of years now?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 03-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's still a mystery how two halves of the same lump of dough made such different loaves of bread.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior Cook

The other day I made my weekly two loaves of basic white bread using TJC recipe.
It's never failed me in years.
I can make the bread with my eyes closed.
For the first time ever I added a T of fresh squeezed lemon juice as suggested on the back of the flour bag.
The bread ended up completely tasteless. Like totally! I gave one loaf away to a family member who couldn't care less if the bread had any flavor or not.
Anyone else used fresh lemon juice and had the same result?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Could it have been something in the loaf pan?
I had washed and dried them both before using them as they had been in storage since I moved. I've been just making hand formed loaves and baking them on a sheet pan since I moved house but thought I'd make tin loaves this time.

The oven is Ok as I've tested it in different areas for temperature so it isn't that.

Complete mystery. Perhaps the god of bakers was putting me in my place and teaching me not to take things for granted!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
The other day I made my weekly two loaves of basic white bread using TJC recipe.
It's never failed me in years.
I can make the bread with my eyes closed.
For the first time ever I added a T of fresh squeezed lemon juice as suggested on the back of the flour bag.
The bread ended up completely tasteless. Like totally! I gave one loaf away to a family member who couldn't care less if the bread had any flavor or not.
Anyone else used fresh lemon juice and had the same result?
I can't recall coming across the lemon juice trick before so I don't know. I can't see how it would affect the flavour.

The bread has it in for us!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
So you mean to say you've been making bread for couple of years now?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
So very kind of you, Charlie. A true gentleman.

(Sadly, as of last February it's 50 plus 2 years!)

Tags
None