Ravioli sauce, gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarence

Assistant Cook
I have a great old family ravioli recipe (meatless with chard), but I lost the recipe for the sauce or gravy to put over it. My mother used to make a delicious sauce which didn't overpower the ravioli's, but definitely added to their flavor. She started with a big piece of beef, I believe, in a large pot - added tomatoes, etc and it cooked the better part of a day as I recall. Anyone out there got an idea how one would go about recreating this type of sauce - gravy? I mean, store bought bottled stuff, no matter how well thought of, doesn't come close to what mom made.

I have a great old family ravioli recipe (meatless with chard), but I lost the recipe for the sauce or gravy to put over it. My mother used to make a delicious sauce which didn't overpower the ravioli's, but definitely added to their flavor. She started with a big piece of beef, I believe, in a large pot - added tomatoes, etc and it cooked the better part of a day as I recall. Anyone out there got an idea how one would go about recreating this type of sauce - gravy? I mean, store bought bottled stuff, no matter how well thought of, doesn't come close to what mom made.
Clarence,
I'd be happy to share my recipe with you. It's an old one my mother and mother-in-law both used. We use it for homemade ravioli and pasta..Here are some of the ingredients..Look them over and if they seem to be what your looking for..Then I'll post the whole thing. We simmer this almost all day, filling the house with a rich wonderful smell.
kadesma

Ingredients
2lb.s chuck roast of lean stew meat,tomato sauce, onion,garlic,beef stock,fresh flat leaf parsley,marjoram,thyme,basil,rosemary and oregano..The most important thing, dry imported mushrooms and their both, these give our gravy a rich brown color.

Ravioli sauce

Kadesma: Thanks so much for responding to my question. What you describe sounds just like what I remember my mom and grandmother making when I was a kid. I would really appreciate it if you would post the whole recipe. I will definitely try it out confident that in so doing so I will once again be privileged to enjoy a house filled with the wonderful aroma of a real simmering ravioli-pasta sauce.

Salud!
Clarence

Clarence,
it will be my pleasure..My mom and mother-in-law are both gone now, so Im left to carry this on, and my daughters are both learning..I hope you enjoy.
You will need:
2-lbs of chuck roast or lean beef stew meat
2-c.chopped yello or white onion
1-c. evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
6-7 cloves crushed garlic'
4 cans tomato saucethe 8oz.size I prefer a28 oz can (2) diced or whole tomatoes preferably a more sweet on on it's own.This is a matter of your taste...I make a large portion and freeze part of it.
4-cups beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
4-Tab. fresh chopped Italian parsley
4-Tab. Marjoram
2-tea. thyme
1-tea. finely chopped rosemary fresh or dry
1-tea. basil
1-tea. oregano
2-c. dry porcini mushrooms, cover with at least 1-1/2 cups hot water, I tend to use at least 2 cups I then simmer it for a few min....I strain the mushroom broth to make sure I don't have sand then slowly add in the broth..I put the mushrooms into the food processor with a bit of the broth and make a fine chopped paste of it..This I add to my gravy..I keep adding in the broth so that in the end my gravey is a rich looking brown not red..If I want my gravy to be even thicker and we usually do I take some of the meat and make a paste in the food processor and add this to the gravy..
Ok
just brown the meat, add the onion and other ingredients and simmer 4-5 hours at the least..Add you mushroom liquid as you go then enjoy over your pasta or ravioli...
kadesma

Ravioli sauce

Kadesma: Thanks again for taking the time to write. I will definitely try your wonderful sounding recipe and I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

I can smell it now!
Clarence

Back
Top Bottom