"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
Everymom

Signature line is in place, just won't be seen til JiaJia has the approved number of posts.

For the record, blog links that don't sell anything are fine. They just need to be in a sig line and not pushed with every post please.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiaJia618 View Post
If I eat carrot, which one is more nutritious ,the raw carrot or cooked carrot. I have read about a report, it says, if you eat raw carrot, you only can absorb 20% carrot’s nutrition, but if you eat cooked carrot, you can 98% carrot’s nutrition.Is that true? I think raw vegetables is better than cooked vegetables.What’s your opinion?
Well it depends on how you cook the carrot, Are you going to grill it? Are you going to pan fry it, steam it? smoke it? There is a lot of variables when it comes to cooking veggies as I'm finding out!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Head Chef

Check this article, which cites a study at the University of Arkansas that concluded that cooked carrots provided more antioxidants than raw carrots: Cooked Carrots May be Better than Raw Ones

Also, see this newspaper article: Carrots cooked whole 'better at fighting cancer' - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent
Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

To add to it, I also just recently learned that certain things in veggies are only absorbed in the body if there is a little bit of fat to go along with it. If you just eat a raw or naked cooked carrot you are not getting as much out of it as if you use a little olive oil or butter.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I've read that cooked carrot is more nutritious - when I add
carrot to salad I cook them first - not for nutrition but I think they
are better tasting cooked.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to JiaJia618 Send a message via MSN to JiaJia618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Check this article, which cites a study at the University of Arkansas that concluded that cooked carrots provided more antioxidants than raw carrots
Thank you very much.I have seen that.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Check this article, which cites a study at the University of Arkansas that concluded that cooked carrots provided more antioxidants than raw carrots: Cooked Carrots May be Better than Raw Ones

Also, see this newspaper article: Carrots cooked whole 'better at fighting cancer' - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

That addresses one aspect, antioxidents. I wonder if it effects the other nutrients the same way.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
Head Chef

I imagine it would be a pretty complex analysis. There's probably some destruction of certain nutrients by heating, but OTOH some nutrients may not be available unless the vegetable material is partially broken down by cooking, making it more digestible. I understand from several sources, for example, that dogs can't digest raw carrots -- which they love nonetheless. How to measure what's actually absorbed by the body would be tricky.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
To add to it, I also just recently learned that certain things in veggies are only absorbed in the body if there is a little bit of fat to go along with it. If you just eat a raw or naked cooked carrot you are not getting as much out of it as if you use a little olive oil or butter.
That's like, the best justification I've ever read for buttering your carrots!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I imagine it would be a pretty complex analysis. There's probably some destruction of certain nutrients by heating, but OTOH some nutrients may not be available unless the vegetable material is partially broken down by cooking, making it more digestible. I understand from several sources, for example, that dogs can't digest raw carrots -- which they love nonetheless. How to measure what's actually absorbed by the body would be tricky.

Clearly the solution is to eat twice as many carrots - half raw and half cooked.