"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, homemade ketchup is better than any brand of ketchup I have ever tasted.
Homemade mayonnaise is also better than any I have ever tasted. Add your own spices/herbs, it is in a class of its own. Toss in a fresh egg yolk laid an hour earlier, top quality oil, meyer lemon juice, and it is unlike Hellman's or any others you can buy. And, with a blender/fb/mixer, it doesn't take long to make mayo. It doesn't keep as long as a jar bought at the store. And that might be the show stopper--commercial foods have additives that give them a longer shelf (or fridge) life. I make my own mayo. I have to do something with all those eggs.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Home made mayonnaise is not as thick as the mayo in a jar. And depending on the oil and vinegar you use, the flavor is mobile.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Home made mayonnaise is not as thick as the mayo in a jar. And depending on the oil and vinegar you use, the flavor is mobile.
Depends on the oil to egg ratio and if you use the whole egg or just the yolk, or maybe it has to do with how fresh the eggs are...mine's pretty darn thick...maybe I need to stop being so chintzy with the oil...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Depends on the oil to egg ratio and if you use the whole egg or just the yolk, or maybe it has to do with how fresh the eggs are...mine's pretty darn thick...maybe I need to stop being so chintzy with the oil...
I've never had any "stand up" mayo that I've made, but then I like to whisk it by hand. I bet it would whip right up with the immersion blender.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh yes, I also like using the immersion blender. It does "whip right up" and well, we could carry on about how the taste is better, etc., but I have to call it a night. The girls will be looking for breakfast in a few hours so they can produce more EGGS.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never had any "stand up" mayo that I've made, but then I like to whisk it by hand. I bet it would whip right up with the immersion blender.
When I have made mayo in a blender, it wasn't as thick as store bought, but when I made with the mixer (the old kind, with two egg beater-like thingees), it was really thick - thicker than anything I ever bought at the store.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
Head Chef

Why worry about semantics? =) Eat as fresh and local as you can & fill in the gaps with sensible substitutes.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

My main concern for homemade vs. store bought would be health. Homemade mayo is not something I would consider due to the raw egg problem.

Then I decided to make my own homemade tomato soup. After straining out the peel and seeds, I could discern no difference in taste between Campbell and homemade. But a big difference in cost. Considering how many tomatoes along with milk, labor and electricity it took, to get the same amount as a properly made can of soup, I'll stay with Campbell. But should I make my own crackers to crunch in the can of soup? I do have a recipe and they are very creamy crackers. But they are more for a chowder. I will stick with the Sunshine Saltines.

I do cook from scratch. Or at least I think I do. All my veggies are cooked from the raw state. And I don't buy any marinated meats. I do have a butcher that I know personally, and he gives me what I want usually cut fresh from the side of the animal while I wait. He gets a truck from Chicago delivering every morning. So I guess you say I cook my meats from scratch. Condiments, flour, butter, etc. I think it is a given that for the most part we all buy and use them. That doesn't lessen our "cooking from scratch".

For those in my age group or who are handicap in their mobility, we have to depend on our local supermarket to obtain the freshest and bestest produce possible. For those who have a farmers stand or market within traveling distance, they are the fortunate ones. They can go out and buy each day what is in season and plan their days menu. For others, they can just go outside their kitchen door and pick their needs from their garden. But they still have to travel to the store for milk, condiments, etc. They are still scratch cooks.

I think the ones we wouldn't consider a scratch cook are the ones who load up their freezer with TV Dinners, frozen pies, Hot pockets for everyday lunch, Swanson breakfast entrees, Jimmy Dean Sausage Sandwiches, etc. They feed their families three meals and snacks a day out of the freezer. I believe we would call them Freezer Queens. After the freezer comes their pantry. Hamburger Helper, Kraft mac and cheese in a box, canned chili, white bread that tastes like cardboard, canned spaghetti, canned veggies over salted, instant coffee, bottled dressings, powdered and canned milk, etc. But they have the biggest set of the most expensive pans, and knives. More the sorrow for them.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I presume that you mean home made can't be as smooth and even...

Smooth and even is easy. That's not the issue.

Commercial mayo has a pudding-like texture beyond thickness that I haven't duplicated. To be honest, I haven't tried either. As I said, homemade mayo isn't worth the effort for a sandwich.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Commercial mayo has a pudding-like texture beyond thickness that I haven't duplicated. To be honest, I haven't tried either. As I said, homemade mayo isn't worth the effort for a sandwich.
It depends on whether or not a person has a source for eggs--I am never in that much of a hurry that I cannot take the time to make homemade mayonnaise. And goodness knows, I have enough eggs. I just wish mayo used more eggs!

Gently heating the yolks enough to kill the bacteria (but not cook the yolks) is recommended if one is concerned about salmonella. My chickens are vaccinated. Eggs sold in the US are often irradiated before sale (I believe they are marked with a "P"). There are three locations in the US were this is done. All the eggs my parents in MN buy come from a location in IL.

This is a link to one method of heating the yolks, another is in the microwave:

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe - Cooked Mayonnaise Recipe