Real!!!! Baked beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, kidney beans are NOT Swedish brown beans. I assumed they were common in Denmark as well (maybe now that the bridge is built, they will become incorporated into Danish cooking...). Of course, having a recipe wouldn't help if I can't find a source for the beans <g>. Although, I see I can order them online. I am hoping I can find them in MN so I don't have to order 10 lb. I am already envisioning my re-entry into Canada with spices from The Spice House, wild rice, some of the Mexican food ingredients...good thing Porter Air allows two bags...one's going to be full of foodie stuff <g>.

You might find them in Ikea's food market.

Unfortunately, kidney beans are NOT Swedish brown beans. I assumed they were common in Denmark as well (maybe now that the bridge is built, they will become incorporated into Danish cooking...). Of course, having a recipe wouldn't help if I can't find a source for the beans <g>. Although, I see I can order them online. I am hoping I can find them in MN so I don't have to order 10 lb. I am already envisioning my re-entry into Canada with spices from The Spice House, wild rice, some of the Mexican food ingredients...good thing Porter Air allows two bags...one's going to be full of foodie stuff <g>.

Why don't you just get wild rice from Ontario?

I saw Andrew Zimmern on his TV show, "Bizarre Foods," collecting wild rice from a row boat on a reservation in Minnesota once. It looked very tedious.

I saw Andrew Zimmern on his TV show, "Bizarre Foods," collecting wild rice from a row boat on a reservation in Minnesota once. It looked very tedious.

It is--a friend of mine in HS had a license (permit). We went out on Cass Lake in MN and gathered wild rice...separating the chaff from the grain is even more work (I guess a fanning mill would've helped--we tossed it in large baskets in the air). And, to harvest on lakes where it is truly wild (not cultivated) you had to have "status" to get the permit. Don't know if it is still true. I am still partial to "wild" wild rice and not cultivated.

And that is why it is so expensive in other areas. I can get it for $1.99/lb in MN. It is over that for 100 g here in SE Ontario. Having harvested it, I do have an appreciate for why it is so expensive. Ditto for maple syrup and morell mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom