"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Real!!!! Baked beans

Hi, I am trying to find a recipe for real baked beans and most of the recipes seem to use canned beans. I tried many years ago to make baked beans in my slow cooker and they were as hard as rocks. I soaked them overnight and also simmered them for about an hour the next day before I put them into the crock pot. Go figure!!
I do have an old fashioned bean crock which I could also use so I would appreciate any REAL bean recipes out there.
P.S. I got replies two weeks ago regarding a baked ham dinner and side dishes with salad (homemade dressing) and I took input from everyone and my dinner was a great success all around.
I enjoy this site so much and appreciate all the help I have received over the years. I have been married for 45 years but unfortunately my cooking leaves a lot to be desired. I am great at cooking large meals like boiled dinners, etc. (coming from a large family) but being a part of this site has really helped me improve my cooking abilities and my husband is pleased as well.
Take care and have a great day.
Summer

Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef

This is one you might want to try. I also make it using a ham and a bay leaf. Grandma said that you will get tough beans if you add the meat too soon (wives tale???). I have also heard that the salt needs to be added at the right time so the beans dont break apart too much (again-wives tale???) You be the judge. Here it is. There are so many recipes to try. Let me know if you need another for any reason, and I will send more.

New England Baked Beans

Rinse 1 pound (2 cups) dried navy beans. Combine beans and 8 cups cold water in kettle. Bring to boiling. Simmer 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover; let stand one hour. (or add beans to the cold water and soak overnight).

Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to beans and water. Cover; simmer until tender, about 1 hour or more. Drain, reserving liquid. Measure 2 cups liquid, adding water if needed; mix with 1/2 cup molasses, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and one teaspoon dried mustard.

Cut 1/4 pound salt pork in half. Score one half; set aside. Grind or thjinly slice remainder. In 2 quart bean pot or casserolecombine beans; 1 medium onion, sliced; and ground salt pork. Pour sugar-bean liquid over. Top with scored pork. Cover; bake at 300F for 5-7 hours. Add more liquid, if needed. Serves 8.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Master Chef

Here's the recipe I use. It's from Alton Brown and is terrific:

The Once and Future Beans Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Here's the recipe I use. It's from Alton Brown and is terrific:

The Once and Future Beans Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

The recipe looks good except for the tomato. As a New Englander, tomato in baked beans is anathema.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Over the years, I have found that, although baked beens seem easy enough, there is still a good possibility of failure. You really need to keep an eye on them through out the cooking procedure. Some beans will absorb the liquid way more, or faster than others. You need to be there, and check occasionally, to make some adjustments as the beans cook. Especially in the later part of the cooking process.
I usually keep some stock, or other liquid, handy, so if they seem to be drying out and still hard, you can add it to the beans.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The recipe looks good except for the tomato. As a New Englander, tomato in baked beans is anathema.
is anathema a New England enema
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I feel the same way about molasses. Plechh! Up in these parts, lots of people use ketchup, which is something I don't care for.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I feel the same way about molasses. Plechh! Up in these parts, lots of people use ketchup, which is something I don't care for.
What do you put in your beans, Rocklobster?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Very basic. Beans, beef stock, salt pork or bacon, onions, brown sugar, garlic, salt'n'peppa, tomato paste.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Aww come on guys pick on me I'm a Brit and I eat Heinz baked beans cold out of the tin.

Tags
beans