Real name for this "ketchup"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jl1978

Assistant Cook
I was at a family members house and tried homemade ketchup. It was made with cabbage, green tomatoes, and some jalapenos for spice. It put me in mind of sauerkraut. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone on here knew the "real" name for this mix. I assume that ketchup is the southern country slang for whatever it is. Thanks :)

Since this is a "canned" home made recipe.................I posted it in the "canning" section. Why it was moved, I haven't a clue. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Since this is a "canned" home made recipe.................I posted it in the "canning" section. Why it was moved, I haven't a clue. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

It was moved because it was not a question about canning or preserving ... the question you asked was debating what to call something that had been canned.

FWIW - ketchup (by any spelling) is a sauce (a thin to thick liquid) ... and I agree with Constance - what you described sounds more like a relish.

Calling what you had ketchup may just be a regional colloquialism to describe any condiment, probably one not made with mustard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom