"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
Executive Chef

We plan the week's meals together. There are dishes that 1 of us likes a whole lot more than the other, so those are usually reserved for birthdays or other special days, or maybe we'll have 1meal he really likes and another meal I really like in a week. Fortunately, we nearly always agree on dishes we hate and will never make again. On the few we don't agree to hate, the other 1 has never liked it enough to have an issue on never making it again.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

DH will eat just about anything I make, even if it's an experiment that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped In recent years, he's been more honest about about telling me when he doesn't like something. For the first 20 years we were married, there was something (I can't remember what now) I made regularly that he didn't like and he never told me

There are a few things he just doesn't like and won't eat - broccoli, cauliflower and green tomatoes, for example. I can't eat broccoli or cauliflower anyway, so no problem. I make things he doesn't like when he's not home for dinner. As with many people, he has discovered over the years that foods he thought he didn't like he actually enjoys when they're cooked differently - for example, broiled and roasted vegetables like asparagus and Brussels sprouts are much more delicious than boiled

I do most of the cooking and all of the baking. We both do the shopping; we use the Our Groceries app to keep a common grocery list. If I'm not feeling well or I'm really tired, he'll either offer to get pizza or Chinese or pitch in and make something. He has a few things he doesn't mind making, with the help of store-bought shortcuts - spaghetti with meat sauce, beef tacos, sloppy Joes, burgers. And we usually have an emergency frozen dinner available. DH does the cleanup when I cook.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

My wife and I can be summed up by the converse of Jack Sprat:

Jack Sprat('s wife)could eat no fat
And he could eat no lean
So betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #14
Head Chef

Mrs. T happily eats whatever I decide to make, and enjoys the dinner surprises. Around 5 o'clock she'll ask "What's for dinner?". I've always done the majority of cooking and menu planning, and dinners during the working years were things that could be quickly put on the table. Since I cut back to part time work over 4 years ago, I've had a lot more time to explore new recipes. Fortunately there aren't too many things that she won't eat. We have similar tastes in food, generally lower fat and salt items, and meals are pretty well balanced. Things like bacon wrapped fatties would never appear on the table. We're both pretty active and have no fear of carbs. Mrs. T has happily not cooked a meal or seen the inside of a grocery store in over 4 years.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thankfully, Souschef and I like and dislike the same foods. I found out before we were married he also detested brussel sprouts, so I knew he might be the one for me. Seriously though, our tastes are so similar he's very easy to cook for with one exception. I need to be careful with excessive capsicum as his tolerance is lower than mine.

He seems to enjoy helping me in the kitchen as I cook the meals and that makes me a really happy home cook.
He does all of the supermarket shopping much better than I ever did, and I enjoy the shopping at Trader Joe's.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My wife will eat anything I make, except for fried egg sandwiches.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My wife will eat anything I make, except for fried egg sandwiches.
On the rare occasion that Jeannie decides to visit the working end of the kitchen, she makes a truly delicious fried egg sandwich..

No idea what she does that I don't but hers are better by far...

Ross
Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've not done much in the way of cooking for the last several months.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's fine as long as you keep posting. :)
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
{{{PF}}}