"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Mr. Greenjeans

The one thing about electric over gas is that the heat is constant and even. I know when I bake in my oven (gas) I have to rotate the pans. If I'm making cookies I have to rotate and switch shelves to make sure they are all getting even cooking temp.

There is not that much moisture released in gas cooking.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbohner View Post
...Also, this gas range has more variation in the temp range. about 30F

WOW! That's a big fluctuation. I see that as a problem. My gas oven fluctuates no more than 10 degrees.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Yes, I think that temperature fluctuation may be the problem. I'd be on the horn with the retailer or manufacturer in that situation, I think.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Head Chef

I agree -- that shouldn't be. I've never had any more temperature fluctuation with my gas stoves than with my electric. I suspect that's a function of the sensitivity of the thermostat and of how well the oven seals in the heat. The source of the heat, however, shouldn't account for much difference -- with either gas or electric, it's either on or off, and the gas flame begins heating much more quickly than the electric heating element.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbohner View Post
yes, all these variables are the same - gas creates moisture when it burns, so doesn't that have some effect? Also, this gas range has more variation in the temp range. about 30F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
WOW! That's a big fluctuation. I see that as a problem. My gas oven fluctuates no more than 10 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
Yes, I think that temperature fluctuation may be the problem. I'd be on the horn with the retailer or manufacturer in that situation, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I agree -- that shouldn't be. I've never had any more temperature fluctuation with my gas stoves than with my electric. I suspect that's a function of the sensitivity of the thermostat and of how well the oven seals in the heat. The source of the heat, however, shouldn't account for much difference -- with either gas or electric, it's either on or off, and the gas flame begins heating much more quickly than the electric heating element.
I'm not sure we are interpreting this correctly. Are you saying that you have measured at different places and times in the oven and found a 30 degree difference? Or, are you saying that you have a greater variety of temperature settings on your gas oven?
ie. 0 to 500 on electric vs 0 to 530 on gas.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I'm not sure we are interpreting this correctly. Are you saying that you have measured at different places and times in the oven and found a 30 degree difference? Or, are you saying that you have a greater variety of temperature settings on your gas oven?
ie. 0 to 500 on electric vs 0 to 530 on gas.
What I understood is that if the temp is set to 350 F it cycles off and on to maintain that temp. As a result of the cycling, the temp fluctuates over and under 350 F by 30 F. Say 325 F - 355 F.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
What I understood is that if the temp is set to 350 F it cycles off and on to maintain that temp. As a result of the cycling, the temp fluctuates over and under 350 F by 30 F. Say 325 F - 355 F.
That's what I assumed he meant, too.

Forgive me for asking two very obvious and probably very stupid questions:

1. Are you allowing the oven to preheat sufficiently? It takes about 10 to 20 minutes for an oven, either gas or electric, to heat up to the selected temperature, which, for most baking recipes, is essential before putting the item in the oven.

2. Is one of the ovens by any chance convection? That does make a big difference in both temperature setting and baking time.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
At first I reached the same conclusion but then I thought we should ask to clarify.

bobbohner?

Tags
conversion, electric, gas, recipe