Recipes for Children

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need some help. I have to come up with two recipes that are suitable for children to use at school for one of the classes I'm taking. I am an Early Childhood Education major, and I was thinking of maybe some no-cook recipes or ones that use the microwave or something simple. The example in our syllabus was "Stack it on a Cracker." I thought that was boring. All it was was lunch meat, cheese, and crackers. That's what Lunchables are for.

What about...

hummus & veggies

guacamole & pico de gallo with chips

s'mores - fluff, chocolate frosting & graham crackers

funny s'mores - bananas, peanut butter & fluff with graham crackers

rotisserie chicken & chutney on crackers

warm corn tortillas with pbj or nutella & bananas

no bake cookies or bars

flour tortilla wrap sandwiches or rolled & cut into pinwheels

mixed berries with mint & oj

fruit salad

tuna or chicken salad pitas

pears, apples, grapes & cheeses

dessert sushi....fruit rollups, rice crispy treats & gummy candies to resemble a California roll

Have fun!

I actually thought of fruit salad after I made this post. I have a 3 y/o daughter, and we sing a song called "Fruit Salad."

I LOVE the Dessert Sushi idea. How would you roll the Rice Krispy Treats? Or would you just make them thin? This is a fantastic idea.

I was wanting to try something different, and these are some excellent ideas. Thanks!!

BACON SALAMI BALLS

1/2 pound bacon
8 oz. Velveeta (you can use shredded sharp cheddar or any other favorite)
1/2 pound hard salami
3 tbsp. milk
3 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce.

Cook Bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and reserve.
Cut up or shred cheese and salami and then blend it in a food processor or blender(in batches) until it clings together a little.

Add milk and Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Shape into small balls(about 1 tbsp.) and roll in crumbled bacon.
Chill before serving. Makes about 35.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

CHEERY CHOCOLATE TEDDY BEAR COOKIES

1 package REESE'S ® Peanut Butter Chips -- (10 ounce)
1 cup HERSHEY'S ® BAKE SHOPPE (TM) Semisweet Chocolate Chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1 package chocolate sandwich cookies -- (20 ounce)
1 package teddy bear shaped graham snack crackers -- (10 ounce)

Cover tray with wax paper. In medium microwave-safe bowl, place peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.

With fork, dip each cookie into chip mixture; gently tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.

Place coated cookies on prepared tray; top each cookie with graham snack cracker.

Refrigerate, uncovered, until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Store in airtight container in cool, dry place. About 4 dozen cookies.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

...and then disappear quickly before the sugar high sets in.... :)

Dessert sushi

You can make the rice crispy treats & when then are still warm & moldable, press them onto the fruit leather like you would the rice. (Or you could nuke the store bought rice crispy treat bars.)Then place gummy green worms (cucumber), jelly beans (roe), etc. in the center. Then you can even use the bamboo mat to "roll" them, slice & use chopsticks, If you have little dishes for soy sauce put chocolate sauce in them. ebay has great kids chopsticks, they are cheaters (chop sticks that are attached) with farm animals & fish, cute & very inexpensive.

Thanks for clearing that up with the dessert sushi. I'd love to include that in my resource collection for my class. I'd want to give proper credits, so you can PM me if this was your idea for who to give credit to. If it wasn't your idea, a website would be most helpful. My mouth is still watering over these! These look great!!

Hmmm well, several things come to mind.

One is a "candle salad" that my grandmother made for us when we were little.

In the middle of a bed of a couple of lettuce leaves on a plate, place a quarter cup of small curd cottage cheese. Top that with a ring of canned pineapple (that's the candle collar). Stick a half of a banana (ends cut off) in the middle of the pineapple ring, and top the banana "candle" with a maraschino cherry (the flame).

Nan also made us less artistic, but equally delicious, salads of either a half a canned pear or canned peach with a scoop of cottage cheese in the middle, topped with a cherry. Served on beds of lettuce. Man, I haven't had those in decades, but I DID love them!

Another idea is grated carrot, raisin and mayo salad. Delicious!

An easy appetizer or snack idea, and fun for kids to make, are cubes of cheese (softer cheeses are better since they don't break when you put them on toothpicks), cubes of some sort of deli meat like bologna, salami or ham, and sliced dill pickles. Thread them on toothpicks and stick them in a grapefruit or lemons for good snacks or appetizers. Can also stick two olives on some of the toothpicks.

Here's a picture of an appetizer platter, with the grapefruit "porcupine" in the center"

Good luck with your assignment! I bet DC members have a million ideas!

Lee

Last edited:
Early Childhood: If these little 3-4 year olds are doing the work then it has to be something that they can achieve and something that will contribute to the next learning skill! The cracker stack is something that they will be doing with a teacher through kindergarten. An Early Childhood Education Major would know the significance of this task!!! Another activity using food is the create a personal pizza for the same learning concept!!! And of course the Jack-O-Lantern!!!

This will be their first Ritz or Club cracker stack, their first pizza; their first...not your first!!!

I hope you survive the bright blue sugar spread on toast. And of course child chatter at the table!!!

These activities bring back the best memories of my life...Mother's Day!!!

Well, for my major, it's Early Childhood through 4th grade, so any recipes for that age range would be appropriate. You did make an excellent point, though, StirBlue, and I thank you for pointing that out. The cracker stacks would definitely test some motor skills.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom