Recipes for ground beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know that God sent me. I'm not that good. All I did was list a few dishes. But am glad that the ideas help.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A few dishes PLEASE you sent a boatload... You took the time out of your day to help me... I don't care who sent you, but Thank him or her... Big Smootch

When my kids were young I would take a pound of ground beef, a can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup (MUST be Campbell's), a package of frozen green beans, and a sprinkling of dried minced onions....stir it all together with pepper and a little garlic salt...pour into a glass 8X8 pan...spread homemade mashed potatoes on top...30 minutes in the oven...voila...yummmmm!

Beef Stroganoff...brown up a pound of ground beef in a pan along with a Cup of fresh chopped onions, 1/2 lb of fresh mushrooms, garlic salt and pepper to taste...and when all cooked add a Cup of sour cream. The juices from the beef and mushrooms mixed with the sour cream is very tasty! Pour over Egg Noodles and serve with steamed fresh brocolli

Enjoy your vacation!

Tonights dinner used ground beef.

Linguine topped with meat and mushroom sauce (ground beef browned with olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped fresh mushroom caps, dried porcini mushroom powder, fresh basil, fresh oregano, sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, thyme, rosemary, ground red pepper flakes, tomato puree, tomato paste, pinch sugar, pinch each beef and chicken bouillon powder and burgundy wine) and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheeses. Tomato and mozzarella salad (chopped tomato, cubed mozzarella, fresh onion, fresh garlic clove mashed with salt to paste, ground pepper, fresh basil, fresh oregano, olive oil and red wine vinegar) on the side.
img_911625_0_76190bb910f0fd3f405fdd2b6e4055fe.jpg

I'm not suggesting a recipe per se, but that you might consider looking for chicken leg quarters that are sold by the bag. And some places where pork is king, mixed pork chops or pork steaks get very inexpensive in the autumn months. Gets you a little variety and often (the bags of leg quarters are ALWAYS cheaper anywhere I've lived) less expensive than ground beef.

A favorite with ground beef for me was to mix with an egg and bread crumbs, then spread thin-ly on a jelly roll type pan (one with edges). Then alternatively top as if it was a pizza or give it a mexican flair. It has been so long since I did this that I don't remember, but I think maybe 375 for a half hour. Season the ground beef with an Italian blend if you're going in that direction, or with your favorite chili powder mix for the latter. I haven't done this for years and I don't know why. Great with kids. Serve with a salad -- dressing appropriate to the "pizza". Cut into small squares it's good party food.

DOn't know why I haven't done it in ages, so when it is cool enough, I will, and report back on more specifics. Anyone with any idea of how long to cook (It is maybe 1/4 inch thick) or temps, write back. Think really thin meatloaf!

If your friend has an ALDI nearby I would suggest going there. I am not cash strapped but still stop there for certain things. Things like 28oz cans of diced tomatoes can be had for less than a dollar, they have frozen ground beef and ground turkey that are a good price (haven't tried them) 8 oz blocks of cheese less than $2 (I often shred my own cheese for half the price of pre shredded). Dry pasta is always a good deal, sometimes a better deal in a regular grocery store on sale, but always a solid deal here. Most of their cereals are under $2 a box. Eggs, milk, butter great deal there.

I don't buy much of their processed foods (there are tons of them there), but I go for basic staple items. I have been happy with a majority of my purchases there. Some of the stores in the not so great part of town are a little rough around the edges, but my local one is nice. When I had very little money to live on, ALDI was a life saver, I was able to eat well on the cheap, knowing how to cook from scratch helps!

Thank you all for your kindness it is so appreciated... I have been helping her out, I do believe she has a direction to go and doesn't feel so lost now... XOXO Mimi

P.S. MA,,, just took a virtual vacation from a PM... It was wonderful!!! Big Smootch... Mimi

A really good buy is the 10# bag of chicken legs. I separate the thighs from the drumsticks and get out and open a bunch of zip bags. If the legs are on the small side they can be left whole. I put drumsticks together in their own baggie and use these for chicken soup. The thighs usually go in their own baggie and can often fit in a sandwich size bag.

For cooking up chicken to strip off the bone and use in any dish, I boil them right from the freezer in onion soup mix, plus added water and bouillion if needed. When the chicken is done (about 45 minutes to an hour) remove from the broth and set in the fridge to cool off (about 15 minutes) before stripping and cutting into bite size pieces. The broth should be frozen in 2-3 cup containers and can be used as stock to make really good beans.

When pork roast such as butt is on sale (usually for 99 cents/#) save the bone and the meat stuck around it to put in your beans.

Beans: Even if you don't have a bone rescued from a roast, Jenny-o Turkey Ham is only about $2 a pound. You can't tell it from real ham by look or taste. Dice up a thick slice and add during the last 1/2 hour to spilt peas, it's a meal in itself. Beans are cheap and by using the meat off a bone, or cheap, but delicious turkey ham, you have a main dish meal for less.

Rice: Go ahead and get the meat for chili, but be sure to serve it over rice. It goes well with the chili and saves using up the chili too fast.

Kielbasa: $2.50 a ring. Make store brand fried rice. Slice and fry kielbasa rounds with onion and bell pepper. Stir together and serve. Usually I only use half the kielbasa max for one box of fried rice. So you have at least one other meal with the kielbasa, or make a double batch.

Cheap and easy: Boil cabbage, onion, garlic and small potatoes together until tender. Add kielbasa in large pieces and bury it under the cabbage and take off the heat for about 10 minutes, covered. If you let the kielbasa boil, it will split and the juices get into the soup. That sounds good, but the kielbasa itself ends up tasteless. Go easy on the salt until it is ready because the kielbasa will add a lot. The same goes when adding ham to a dish.

Cheap ground sausage: Either make plain stuffing from bread heels (save them for stuffing and meatloaf filler), sauted onion, celery & poultry seasoning. OR, just use store brand stuffing mix, cooked according to directions. I partiicularly like the cornbread. Brown 1/3# of sausage with a small onion and drain. Mix the meat with the stuffing and a 1/2 can of drained mixed vegetables. Put in a small casserole dish and bake 350 for 1/2 hour. If you need more double the recipe. Any more than 1/3# of sausage per box is too much. You can use up to a pound, but it overpowers the flavor of the stuffing.

Liver and chicken livers are cheap too, if you like it.

I hope these ideas help.

Last edited:
I didn't read all of the posts but did anyone suggest that age old favorite, porcupine meatballs (made with rice). Very budget friendly and a real family pleaser.

Oldies But Goodies

I didn't read all of the posts but did anyone suggest that age old favorite, porcupine meatballs (made with rice). Very budget friendly and a real family pleaser.

Boy that's a blast from the past. How about stuffed peppers. meatball porcupines reminded me of them, and I realized how long it's been (beyond my failing memory). I think I'll make some next week after I go shopping again. Bell peppers are apparently in season because I got 2 for a dollar a week or so ago.

This sounds like a good thread, to ask people to remember old favorites that you just don't make anymore. Has it been enough time that it's time to go retro and make some of those oldies but goodies?

...whoa...that reminds me that I learned how to make porcupine balls in Home Economics in HS. I remember I caught my apron on fire in that class. Things haven't changed much :LOL:

...i remember party "BBQ" meatball appetizers cooked in just grape jelly as the bbq sauce. Maybe people still do that.

...I remember I caught my apron on fire in that class. Things haven't changed much :LOL:

...i remember party "BBQ" meatball appetizers cooked in just grape jelly as the bbq sauce. Maybe people still do that.

ROFLOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mrs .40 makes these for pot-luck events at work. She uses L'il Smokies instead of meatballs.

...whoa...that reminds me that I learned how to make porcupine balls in Home Economics in HS. I remember I caught my apron on fire in that class. Things haven't changed much :LOL:

Speaking of Home Ec, I will forever be grateful for being taught to make white sauce. Every time I make a gravy or sauce and it comes out well, I remember Home Ec and that most important lesson.

Speaking of Home Ec, I will forever be grateful for being taught to make white sauce. Every time I make a gravy or sauce and it comes out well, I remember Home Ec and that most important lesson.

I remember bringing my own butter to school because the school only bought margerine when it came time to make white sauce. Home Ec didn't teach me much, it was an easy grade.:LOL:

I remember bringing my own butter to school because the school only bought margerine when it came time to make white sauce. Home Ec didn't teach me much, it was an easy grade.:LOL:

I got butter recently to go with some boiled shrimp. After using it up in various ways, I found that I actually prefer margarine.

It was the method of melting the butter (or as I found, bacon dripping, chicken fat, even plain old oil) and mixing with an equal amount of flour, then gradually adding the milk.

From that I found that you can make gravy or sauce with just about anything. Just keep the proportion of fat to flour the same and add liquid gradually.

One of the best sauces I came up with was the pan juices from making beer brats with onions. The juices were so good, I saved them and made a sauce using the juices. It came out spectacular.

It was an Easy A, wasn't it.:LOL:

Here a a few tricks for feeding a family on a small budget:

Take advantage of turkey...it's one of the lowest fat, highest protein, economical meats there is. A whole turkey is the best buy. You can freeze small packets for use in all kinds of dishes, and then boil the carcass for noodle or rice soup.
Ground turkey is usually cheaper than ground beef, and can be used in any recipe calling for hamburger.
Speaking of soup, it's a great way to stretch meats and vegetables...add a grilled cheese sandwich and you've got comfort food.

Americans eat way more meat than they need. You don't have to eat meat with every meal. You can substitute cheese or beans, even nuts and peanut butter supply iron and protein.

Have breakfast for supper one night a week...pancakes, biscuits and gravy or omelets taste great for an evening meal. Bulk store brand sausage is usually pretty cheap, and goes a long way in gravy or mixed in with scrambled eggs.
Buy a 5 pound box of bacon ends and pieces. Some will be nice enough to fry, and the rest will be fine for seasoning.

Don't forget about tuna. One can goes a long way in a noodle casserole. Instead of salmon patties, try making them with canned mackerel instead. Give the fish a squirt of lemon juice and it will taste just fine.

Learn how to make things from scratch, rather than using boxes and mixes. You will save a lot of money that way.

Hope I helped!

I agree with Constance.

After you've served the turkey, use the bones to make a delicious stock. Boil the bones for about an hour. If you have a large amount, make a soup or make beans in the broth - yummy. Freeze smaller amounts to make great gravy with.

A few ground beef recipes that are easy to make, not too expensive and will feed a family.

Tomatoes filled with meat - Gevulde tomaten (traditional Dutch / Belgian) for 8 tomatoes
8 large tomatoes / 500 gr of ground beef (that's about 1.1 lb) / 1 onion, chopped / 1 egg / 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs / herbs or a bouillon cube / little bit of salt

Slice the caps of the tomatoes off and scoop out the pulp. Put a little bit of salt in the tomatoes to make them more dry.

Meanwhile, mix the ground beef with the other ingredients. Many people in here use a bouillon cube for additional flavouring, but you can use any kind of herbs or spices. It gets quite salty if you use a cube. A traditional herb for ground meat in here is ground bay laurel leaf.

Fill the tomatoes, put them in an oven dish with a little bit of water and oil in it so the tomatoes don't dry out. I bake them for about 20 min. at 180-200 c which is 350 to 400 F.

From the Finnish kitchen: beef and mushroom meatloaf (sieni-lihamureke) serves 4
150 g / 5oz any kind of chopped mushroom | 20 g / 2oz breadcrumbs | 100 ml / 2.5 fl oz double cream | 250 g / 9oz ground beef | 1 onion | 1 egg, beaten | 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves and 1 teaspoon of salt | butter for greasing

Put the mushrooms in a bowl, add breadcrums and cream, mix together. Add minced beef, onion, egg, rosemary, salt and pepper and knead together into a ball.

Grease the loaf tin or oven dish, transfer the mixture into the tin, cover with foil, bake for 40 minutes at 200c / 400F.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom