"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Don't know that God sent me. I'm not that good. All I did was list a few dishes. But am glad that the ideas help.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
A few dishes PLEASE you sent a boatload... You took the time out of your day to help me... I don't care who sent you, but Thank him or her... Big Smootch

A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
Wow! Goodweed, you need to start your own Cheap Eats show! What an awesome list!

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
Senior Cook
I think a Salisbury Steak would be a good ground beef recipe. I think Food Network has a good recipe for that.
CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
Flour Child
When my kids were young I would take a pound of ground beef, a can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup (MUST be Campbell's), a package of frozen green beans, and a sprinkling of dried minced onions....stir it all together with pepper and a little garlic salt...pour into a glass 8X8 pan...spread homemade mashed potatoes on top...30 minutes in the oven...voila...yummmmm!

Beef Stroganoff...brown up a pound of ground beef in a pan along with a Cup of fresh chopped onions, 1/2 lb of fresh mushrooms, garlic salt and pepper to taste...and when all cooked add a Cup of sour cream. The juices from the beef and mushrooms mixed with the sour cream is very tasty! Pour over Egg Noodles and serve with steamed fresh brocolli

Enjoy your vacation!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
Master Chef
Tonights dinner used ground beef.

Linguine topped with meat and mushroom sauce (ground beef browned with olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped fresh mushroom caps, dried porcini mushroom powder, fresh basil, fresh oregano, sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, thyme, rosemary, ground red pepper flakes, tomato puree, tomato paste, pinch sugar, pinch each beef and chicken bouillon powder and burgundy wine) and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheeses. Tomato and mozzarella salad (chopped tomato, cubed mozzarella, fresh onion, fresh garlic clove mashed with salt to paste, ground pepper, fresh basil, fresh oregano, olive oil and red wine vinegar) on the side.
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #26
Master Chef
I'm not suggesting a recipe per se, but that you might consider looking for chicken leg quarters that are sold by the bag. And some places where pork is king, mixed pork chops or pork steaks get very inexpensive in the autumn months. Gets you a little variety and often (the bags of leg quarters are ALWAYS cheaper anywhere I've lived) less expensive than ground beef.

A favorite with ground beef for me was to mix with an egg and bread crumbs, then spread thin-ly on a jelly roll type pan (one with edges). Then alternatively top as if it was a pizza or give it a mexican flair. It has been so long since I did this that I don't remember, but I think maybe 375 for a half hour. Season the ground beef with an Italian blend if you're going in that direction, or with your favorite chili powder mix for the latter. I haven't done this for years and I don't know why. Great with kids. Serve with a salad -- dressing appropriate to the "pizza". Cut into small squares it's good party food.

DOn't know why I haven't done it in ages, so when it is cool enough, I will, and report back on more specifics. Anyone with any idea of how long to cook (It is maybe 1/4 inch thick) or temps, write back. Think really thin meatloaf!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
If your friend has an ALDI nearby I would suggest going there. I am not cash strapped but still stop there for certain things. Things like 28oz cans of diced tomatoes can be had for less than a dollar, they have frozen ground beef and ground turkey that are a good price (haven't tried them) 8 oz blocks of cheese less than $2 (I often shred my own cheese for half the price of pre shredded). Dry pasta is always a good deal, sometimes a better deal in a regular grocery store on sale, but always a solid deal here. Most of their cereals are under $2 a box. Eggs, milk, butter great deal there.

I don't buy much of their processed foods (there are tons of them there), but I go for basic staple items. I have been happy with a majority of my purchases there. Some of the stores in the not so great part of town are a little rough around the edges, but my local one is nice. When I had very little money to live on, ALDI was a life saver, I was able to eat well on the cheap, knowing how to cook from scratch helps!
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #28
Head Chef
Thank you all for your kindness it is so appreciated... I have been helping her out, I do believe she has a direction to go and doesn't feel so lost now... XOXO Mimi

P.S. MA,,, just took a virtual vacation from a PM... It was wonderful!!! Big Smootch... Mimi
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
A really good buy is the 10# bag of chicken legs. I separate the thighs from the drumsticks and get out and open a bunch of zip bags. If the legs are on the small side they can be left whole. I put drumsticks together in their own baggie and use these for chicken soup. The thighs usually go in their own baggie and can often fit in a sandwich size bag.

For cooking up chicken to strip off the bone and use in any dish, I boil them right from the freezer in onion soup mix, plus added water and bouillion if needed. When the chicken is done (about 45 minutes to an hour) remove from the broth and set in the fridge to cool off (about 15 minutes) before stripping and cutting into bite size pieces. The broth should be frozen in 2-3 cup containers and can be used as stock to make really good beans.

When pork roast such as butt is on sale (usually for 99 cents/#) save the bone and the meat stuck around it to put in your beans.

Beans: Even if you don't have a bone rescued from a roast, Jenny-o Turkey Ham is only about $2 a pound. You can't tell it from real ham by look or taste. Dice up a thick slice and add during the last 1/2 hour to spilt peas, it's a meal in itself. Beans are cheap and by using the meat off a bone, or cheap, but delicious turkey ham, you have a main dish meal for less.

Rice: Go ahead and get the meat for chili, but be sure to serve it over rice. It goes well with the chili and saves using up the chili too fast.

Kielbasa: $2.50 a ring. Make store brand fried rice. Slice and fry kielbasa rounds with onion and bell pepper. Stir together and serve. Usually I only use half the kielbasa max for one box of fried rice. So you have at least one other meal with the kielbasa, or make a double batch.

Cheap and easy: Boil cabbage, onion, garlic and small potatoes together until tender. Add kielbasa in large pieces and bury it under the cabbage and take off the heat for about 10 minutes, covered. If you let the kielbasa boil, it will split and the juices get into the soup. That sounds good, but the kielbasa itself ends up tasteless. Go easy on the salt until it is ready because the kielbasa will add a lot. The same goes when adding ham to a dish.

Cheap ground sausage: Either make plain stuffing from bread heels (save them for stuffing and meatloaf filler), sauted onion, celery & poultry seasoning. OR, just use store brand stuffing mix, cooked according to directions. I partiicularly like the cornbread. Brown 1/3# of sausage with a small onion and drain. Mix the meat with the stuffing and a 1/2 can of drained mixed vegetables. Put in a small casserole dish and bake 350 for 1/2 hour. If you need more double the recipe. Any more than 1/3# of sausage per box is too much. You can use up to a pound, but it overpowers the flavor of the stuffing.

Liver and chicken livers are cheap too, if you like it.

I hope these ideas help.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #30
Head Chef
I didn't read all of the posts but did anyone suggest that age old favorite, porcupine meatballs (made with rice). Very budget friendly and a real family pleaser.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote