Recipes from 1931

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I came across some recipes from my late MIL . If anyone is interested , I can post some. For instance , there is Chocolate Ice Box Cake , Stuffed Fish Fillets with Pineapple, Maple Crumb Pudding among some recipes.

OOh the maple crumb pudding sounds interesting !

Maple Crumb Pudding
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cup bottled milk or 1 cup evaporated milk and one cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup macaroom crumbs

Mix cornstarch and 2 teasp. of the milk to a smooth paste. In the top of a double boiler, heat the balance of the milk with the maple syrup, then add the cornstarch mixture gradually, while stirring and cook covered for 15 min.
Next add the salt and vanilla and chill. When cold , fold in the cream , beaten stiff and arrange alternate layers of this mixture and macaroon crumbs in sherbet glasses.
serves 6

I loved my mammaw's ice box cakes, alas she didn't have a recipe and she cannot remember hers now.
If you could list some of them, that would be wonderful. Just the names to see what you have.

I loved my mammaw's ice box cakes, alas she didn't have a recipe and she cannot remember hers now.
If you could list some of them, that would be wonderful. Just the names to see what you have.

All I have is the Chocolate ice box cake and Chocolate Whipped Cream cake.

Thanks for the Maple Crumb Pudding recipe, I love maple syrup! The Chocolate Whipped Cream Cake sounds interesting. :)
Here you go...
Chocolate Whipped Cream Cake
5 tbsp Cocoa
1/3 cup powdered sugar
About 1 1/2 tbsp hot water
1 cup cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 layers of Sponge, Angel or white cake

Combine sugar, enough hot water and sugar to make a smooth paste.
Then add the cream and beat the mixture with egg beater until it is the consistency of whipped cream. Add the vanilla and spread between and on top of layers of the cake. Serves 6.

I'll have to check and see what I have in my files along these lines.

Somewhere, I have a copy of the 1938 second-edition printing of the 1931 "Household Searchlight" cookbook. I think it was a collection of recipes printed in a magazine way-back-when.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom