"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Red face Recipes using plain yogurt and/or whole milk

Hey all,

My boyfriend and I recently joined a local CSA which provides us with a half gallon of whole milk and a quart of yogurt every week (among other things like eggs, cheese, meat, and bread). Neither of us has a taste for either of these things plain, so I need some fresh ideas for using them in recipes. Help?

graceacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Sous Chef
A little bit of yogurt is great in mashed potatoes. I've had sour cream in mashed potatoes but it's easy to use to much. Then all I can taste is sour cream. The yogurt changes the flavor without making them taste like yogurt. Also, try the plain yogurt in place of sour cream in dishes that have a lot of other flavors, like burritos or tacos. It won't be as sour, but it still tastes great. I don't have a recipe for tzaziki sauce, but it's a great dip with a yogurt base. The other ingredients mellow out the yogurt taste well. Oh, and of course, don't forget smoothies! Whole milk will work in a lot of recipes that call for cream, though obviously yielding a less-rich, but also healthier, end product.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Yogurt is used in a number of Indian marinades.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I use yoghurt or sour cream instead of heavy cream when I make carbonara. It adds a slight tangy taste that we really like. I use it as a base for creamy salad dressings, like ranch. Yoghurt cheese with some fresh herbs makes a wonderful spread on toast or crackers. It's also good in gravies that call for heavy cream. Just don't heat for too long, or it might split. It's used in a number of curries.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Head Chef
Yogurt is great mixed into fresh fruit, along with a little honey, lime juice or orange juice. Use it in smoothies or mango lassis or cucumber raitas.

If you do any baking, plain yogurt and/or milk are often in the ingredient mix.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote