Recipes using plain yogurt and/or whole milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graceacoustic

Assistant Cook
Hey all,

My boyfriend and I recently joined a local CSA which provides us with a half gallon of whole milk and a quart of yogurt every week (among other things like eggs, cheese, meat, and bread). Neither of us has a taste for either of these things plain, so I need some fresh ideas for using them in recipes. Help?

Susannah:chef:

A little bit of yogurt is great in mashed potatoes. I've had sour cream in mashed potatoes but it's easy to use to much. Then all I can taste is sour cream. The yogurt changes the flavor without making them taste like yogurt. Also, try the plain yogurt in place of sour cream in dishes that have a lot of other flavors, like burritos or tacos. It won't be as sour, but it still tastes great. I don't have a recipe for tzaziki sauce, but it's a great dip with a yogurt base. The other ingredients mellow out the yogurt taste well. Oh, and of course, don't forget smoothies! Whole milk will work in a lot of recipes that call for cream, though obviously yielding a less-rich, but also healthier, end product.

I use yoghurt or sour cream instead of heavy cream when I make carbonara. It adds a slight tangy taste that we really like. I use it as a base for creamy salad dressings, like ranch. Yoghurt cheese with some fresh herbs makes a wonderful spread on toast or crackers. It's also good in gravies that call for heavy cream. Just don't heat for too long, or it might split. It's used in a number of curries.

Yogurt is great mixed into fresh fruit, along with a little honey, lime juice or orange juice. Use it in smoothies or mango lassis or cucumber raitas.

If you do any baking, plain yogurt and/or milk are often in the ingredient mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom