"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I found the following at this site:

Cider vinegar. The cider is placed in barrels (with their bung holes open) which are exposed during the summer to the heat of the sun. The acetification is completed in the course of about two years. The process of the fermentation, however, must be watched, and as soon as perfect vinegar is formed, it should be racked off into clean barrels. Without this precaution, the acetous fermentation would run into, the putrefactive, and the vinegar spoil. Cider vinegar contains no aldehyde. It contains malic acid, and therefore yields a precipitate with lead acetate. The absence of such a precipitate indicates that the alleged cider vinegar is a manufactured substitute, although a fictitious article might yield a similar precipitate.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Well UB - that is the problem. I don't know and that can be a problem when posting something like this too. We need a bit more information. I would think it would be with certain labels who process their vinegar in certain vessels. I would assume they have to put this warning on their bottles?

Well, Miss Elf lets put the challenge out to all DC'ers. Just what are the facts ya'll?? First one gets a prize. A bottle of vinegar!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Head Chef

I am bewildered. YT is of couurse correct, a chemical element is not altered during a chemical reaction.

Vinegar is of course acidic and could easily leach out lead from any vessel it was made in, but I cannot imagine anyone using a vessel with lead in it.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Lawsuit warns of lead in balsamic vinegars / Group claims manufacturing process adds metal

Should we follow the Scientific route or the Money route?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
YT - ................

Well UB - that is the problem. I don't know and that can be a problem when posting something like this too. We need a bit more information. I would think it would be with certain labels who process their vinegar in certain vessels. I would assume they have to put this warning on their bottles?
Like I said, the warning is posted on the shelf, not the bottles. It is not attributed to a particular company or product.

I see it in all stores in California. I do not know about other states.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Is this the sign that you see?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I found the following at this site:

Cider vinegar. The cider is placed in barrels (with their bung holes open) which are exposed during the summer to the heat of the sun. The acetification is completed in the course of about two years. The process of the fermentation, however, must be watched, and as soon as perfect vinegar is formed, it should be racked off into clean barrels. Without this precaution, the acetous fermentation would run into, the putrefactive, and the vinegar spoil. Cider vinegar contains no aldehyde. It contains malic acid, and therefore yields a precipitate with lead acetate. The absence of such a precipitate indicates that the alleged cider vinegar is a manufactured substitute, although a fictitious article might yield a similar precipitate.

I just found that site too!

It also says this further down:

Distilled Vinegar (Aceturn Destillatum; Vinaigre distille, Oxeolat simple, Fr.; Destillirter Essig, G.) was official in the U. S. Pharmacopoeia, 1870, and was prepared by obtaining seven pints of distillate from eight pints of vinegar placed in a glass retort, the one pint left in the retort retaining the fixed impurities, salts, etc. One hundred grains should saturate not less than seven and six-tenths grains of potassium bicarbonate. The principal foreign substances which vinegar is liable to contain are sulphuric and sulphurous acids, and copper and lead, derived from improper vessels used in its manufacture. Tin has been found in it after standing a short time in tin vessels. The testing of vinegar for genuineness and purity involves so many complex factors that a work on food analysis, such as that of Leach, should be consulted.

It seems it is the vessel that is to blame. Vinegar that has been aged in a barrel or some other suitable container would not have lead in it. So, it is definitely a problem with the brand of vinegar and not all vinegars. I checked both my red wine and balsamic and neither contain lead.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
...It seems it is the vessel that is to blame. Vinegar that has been aged in a barrel or some other suitable container would not have lead in it...

Keltin, if you go back and read the section I posted, they discuss cider vinegar in barrels and that the precipitation of a lead compound as a natural process because of the presence of malic acid...
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Keltin, if you go back and read the section I posted, they discuss cider vinegar in barrels and that the precipitation of a lead compound as a natural process because of the presence of malic acid...
But that doesn’t make any sense. Malic acid is just fruit acid. Lead acetate is formed by treating lead monoxide with acetic acid. A precipitate (a solid produced during a chemical reaction) of lead acetate means that lead monoxide was exposed to acid. Malic acid can’t just turn into lead acetate. Lead must be present and exposed to acid. So I’m not understanding what that article is implying……are they saying lead monoxide was present in the barrels to begin with? This, of course, shows again that it is the container that is the culprit.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Why would lead in any form be present in wood barrels? Or metal ones for that matter. US and other countries' food manufacturers have been lead free for decades.