Refrigerate French toast prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a strawberry bread pudding a week ago. While I was making it, and eating it, I kept thinking "strawberry french toast".

While it didn't soak overnight it soaked for half an hour I think. I can see how a whole, thick cut, slice of bread would be good soaked overnight.

I usually like my french toast thin anyways.

Please excuse my ignorance but when you soak the french toast overnight do you then fry it on a griddle? Isn't it a little difficult to get it onto the griddle without it tearing apart? Or do you bake it? I have seen this done on the tube but it strikes me that french toast made that way is just really bread pudding?

Yes, you fry it on a griddle. I don't understand why you would need to tear it apart. You just griddle each piece of bread that has soaked overnight.

Bread pudding is baked.

Yes, you fry it on a griddle. I don't understand why you would need to tear it apart. You just griddle each piece of bread that has soaked overnight.

Bread pudding is baked.

I believe the concern was that the bread would be so soggy that it would fall apart when you tried to move it to the griddle.

I used to make Pineapple Upside Down French Toast for my breakfast buffet. Basically, you melt some butter and disolve some brown sugar in it, add pineapple, then put in your french toast on top of it, cover and bake it. I suppose you could do it with other fruit if you preferred.

It's posts like this that draw forth little mewling sounds from the keyboarder, especially at this time of day. Good gracious that sounds good.

I baked mine, but it isn't like bread pudding. It is baked and comes out there isn't any extra custard around. The bread absorbs it all and it comes out just like in a pan. There are even some of the markings like traditional french toast. Its delicious and with the help of the oven it really gets the steam action going in a way that a pan can't.

I believe the concern was that the bread would be so soggy that it would fall apart when you tried to move it to the griddle.

Ah! Gotcha. I was assuming good enough quality bread that it wouldn't fall apart. I don't eat it so I'm not sure, but I guess the spongy white sandwich bread may not hold up well. Yeah, you have to use some good-quality bread to soak overnight. The white stuff would probably turn to goo.

velochic said:
Ah! Gotcha. I was assuming good enough quality bread that it wouldn't fall apart. I don't eat it so I'm not sure, but I guess the spongy white sandwich bread may not hold up well. Yeah, you have to use some good-quality bread to soak overnight. The white stuff would probably turn to goo.

So what kind of bread do YOU use? Just curious. I've never made the best French toast so I don't make it very often. If it came out better I probably would... I'm a whiz at pancakes though!

So what kind of bread do YOU use? Just curious. I've never made the best French toast so I don't make it very often. If it came out better I probably would... I'm a whiz at pancakes though!

I like to use a loaf of french bread, sliced about an inch thick.

Ok so I tried the soaking method. I loved how moist and custardy the center is, but I find the my French toast browns unevenly :/ it gets really splotchy. I had the heat set on med/low. What the heck am I doing wrong?? I've come to the conclusion that I just suck at making French toast.

I just make a simple whole wheat bread, but I cut it more thickly than store-bought bread.

betterthanabox said:
I'm telling you, baking is the way to go. Even heat, even texture, tasty.

Next time I'm going to try baking it. What temp do you use? Do you have to flip it?

Next time I'm going to try baking it. What temp do you use? Do you have to flip it?

I bake mine at at 350. I don't flip mine because I soak the bread in the custard over night, and bake the whole thing as is, because their isn't much liquid left. I cook it until it is puffy and the edges are crispy.

I suppose you could remove it from the custard and bake it on a baking sheet, but you would have to flip it.

Just tried the baking method. Baked on 350, took about 25 min for the bottom side to get golden brown, flipped them, and it took another 15 min. I soaked half, and just dipped the other half. They all turned out amazing! Perfectly even and golden brown!! The only thing is preference. If you prefer them custardy, you soak, if not, not. Personally I'm a soaker. I really liked the custard in the center of the crispy golden edges. Yum!!

I no longer suck at French toast!! Thanks everyone!

I have never done that, but I might give it a try. We don't buy fluffy, supermarket bread.

The greatest risk of salmonella with eggs is from the outside of the shell. It is possible, but far less likely, for the inside to be contaminated with salmonella. So, wash your eggs well before you crack them open and after handling unopened eggs.
Since moving to the Philippines we buy our eggs from a lady who lives near me and keeps hens (free range!). They come in a little sack. Most of the time the shells are still crusted and streaked with a variety of things....so I am now firmly entrenched in the habit of washing my eggs with warm water and a teeny bit of soap before I even put them in the fridge. No Bird Flu in this house!

Since moving to the Philippines we buy our eggs from a lady who lives near me and keeps hens (free range!). They come in a little sack. Most of the time the shells are still crusted and streaked with a variety of things....so I am now firmly entrenched in the habit of washing my eggs with warm water and a teeny bit of soap before I even put them in the fridge. No Bird Flu in this house!

Sounds like those are some fresh eggs! The fresher the better. Grandma used to have chickens and we would love to get them while they were still warm. I have a friend who has chickens, but she washes them and puts them in the egg carton for me!

Just make it a day of head of time and soak in the egg mixture till all the flavors combine, Then cook the next morning.
Italian or french bread works well, cinnimon, vinalla, brown sugar, etc. mixed with the egg works well.

I like to use thicker bread too. eggs whipped with buttermilk is how I get my FT on. Besides cane sugar,cinnamon, and a dash of salt, I sprinkle a little honey wheat germ on each side. Gives a light crunch. Yum!

I buy the Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Bread. (minus the raisins) Soak and cook slowly. Nice and brown on the outside, fluffy and fully cooked on the inside. I just have to use eggs and half and half. I prefer butter and a sprinkle of sugar. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom