"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #41
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I made a strawberry bread pudding a week ago. While I was making it, and eating it, I kept thinking "strawberry french toast".

While it didn't soak overnight it soaked for half an hour I think. I can see how a whole, thick cut, slice of bread would be good soaked overnight.

I usually like my french toast thin anyways.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but when you soak the french toast overnight do you then fry it on a griddle? Isn't it a little difficult to get it onto the griddle without it tearing apart? Or do you bake it? I have seen this done on the tube but it strikes me that french toast made that way is just really bread pudding?
Yes, you fry it on a griddle. I don't understand why you would need to tear it apart. You just griddle each piece of bread that has soaked overnight.

Bread pudding is baked.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Yes, you fry it on a griddle. I don't understand why you would need to tear it apart. You just griddle each piece of bread that has soaked overnight.

Bread pudding is baked.

I believe the concern was that the bread would be so soggy that it would fall apart when you tried to move it to the griddle.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I used to make Pineapple Upside Down French Toast for my breakfast buffet. Basically, you melt some butter and disolve some brown sugar in it, add pineapple, then put in your french toast on top of it, cover and bake it. I suppose you could do it with other fruit if you preferred.
It's posts like this that draw forth little mewling sounds from the keyboarder, especially at this time of day. Good gracious that sounds good.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #45
Senior Cook

I baked mine, but it isn't like bread pudding. It is baked and comes out there isn't any extra custard around. The bread absorbs it all and it comes out just like in a pan. There are even some of the markings like traditional french toast. Its delicious and with the help of the oven it really gets the steam action going in a way that a pan can't.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe the concern was that the bread would be so soggy that it would fall apart when you tried to move it to the griddle.
Ah! Gotcha. I was assuming good enough quality bread that it wouldn't fall apart. I don't eat it so I'm not sure, but I guess the spongy white sandwich bread may not hold up well. Yeah, you have to use some good-quality bread to soak overnight. The white stuff would probably turn to goo.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic

Ah! Gotcha. I was assuming good enough quality bread that it wouldn't fall apart. I don't eat it so I'm not sure, but I guess the spongy white sandwich bread may not hold up well. Yeah, you have to use some good-quality bread to soak overnight. The white stuff would probably turn to goo.
So what kind of bread do YOU use? Just curious. I've never made the best French toast so I don't make it very often. If it came out better I probably would... I'm a whiz at pancakes though!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
So what kind of bread do YOU use? Just curious. I've never made the best French toast so I don't make it very often. If it came out better I probably would... I'm a whiz at pancakes though!
I like to use a loaf of french bread, sliced about an inch thick.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #49
Sous Chef

Ok so I tried the soaking method. I loved how moist and custardy the center is, but I find the my French toast browns unevenly :/ it gets really splotchy. I had the heat set on med/low. What the heck am I doing wrong?? I've come to the conclusion that I just suck at making French toast.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
Senior Cook

I'm telling you, baking is the way to go. Even heat, even texture, tasty.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking