Refrigerate French toast prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rainman1962

Assistant Cook
Some recipes call for refrigerating French toast prior to cooking. Does anyone know why? Sometimes I get in a hurry and wonder if I really need to do this step.

It allows the batter to soak completely into the bread and it sets up better. I don't think it's a necessary step, but if you have the time, I think it's worth it. Often, if you don't give the batter time to soak into the bread, then you'll have a center that is just dry bread once it's cooked. The part about putting it into the fridge is probably a "food safety" issue. I usually just let it sit on the counter to soak because I don't think that eggs are dangerous to be left at room temp.

I've seen TV shows where it's put together the night before and left in the fridge to soak.

In general, I think this step is important for thick sliced dense breads and not important for supermarket sliced bread.

I've seen TV shows where it's put together the night before and left in the fridge to soak.

In general, I think this step is important for thick sliced dense breads and not important for supermarket sliced bread.

It would also depend on how "stale" your bread is. I've dried bread, intentionally, for French Toast and it does take a bit longer to soak. But, never all night in the fridge. But then, I'm lazy!:LOL:

Never heard of it. I.ve been having french toast since i was a child, watching my grandfather making it. My mother makes it, my mother in law makes it. I make it for my children, never have i heard of refrigerating it. The only reason I would see why they put it in the fridge becasue they afraid for health reasons leaving the egg mixture out on the counter during soaking. But I never leave the toast soaking for a long time, And I ususally vut the bread prettu thick, at least double or tripple of a store cut slices, though if it is an old dry piece of bread one might need to do that. Still, in France for example it is common practice not to keep eggs or butter in the refrigerator and look they are fine.

I have never done that, but I might give it a try. We don't buy fluffy, supermarket bread.

The greatest risk of salmonella with eggs is from the outside of the shell. It is possible, but far less likely, for the inside to be contaminated with salmonella. So, wash your eggs well before you crack them open and after handling unopened eggs.

I soak my stale bread for maybe 10 minutes tops on the counter. If you put it in the refrigerator then I would think the center wouldn't cook as fast. I wouldn't like raw eggy gushy french toast in the middle so I wouldn't do that.

And Princess, your Ogerness, there's no way your french toast could be more Killer than MY french toast :-p

I soak my stale bread for maybe 10 minutes tops on the counter. If you put it in the refrigerator then I would think the center wouldn't cook as fast. I wouldn't like raw eggy gushy french toast in the middle so I wouldn't do that.

And Princess, your Ogerness, there's no way your french toast could be more Killer than MY french toast :-p

French Toast Off!!!!:chef:

Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!

Hey Mollyanne and Princess Fiona- Have you ever used Hawaiian Sweet bread, and eggnog to make your french toast? Just asken...It is pretty good!

Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!

I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.

No, I have not tried that. Sounds a bit sweet for me! But, I'd fix it for anyone who would like it!

Oh man, now your talkin chopper.......just outa sight!!

I've soaked overnight and not soaked overnight, and call me nuts but it's better overnight. Specifically I'm talking about those combination breakfast casseroles that has a gizzilion variations, but all with egg and bread included.

I have made those the night before. :chef:

Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's :LOL:

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.

Chopper...I have heard of the use of Hawaiian sweetbread but I'm used to the bread I use now. I know those that have had it that way rave about it so you are qualified now for the throw-down with the Princess....haha.

Now this is going to sound bad for french toast but I get rosemary crusty bread (round loaves) made by La Brea bakery...an artisan bread from Harris Teeter. And since it has a slight Rosemary flavor going on (hush Princess lol) then eggnog would be...well...just weird. So I just use eggs, salt, a little milk, pure vanilla, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar (no nutmeg)...to keep things simple. But it's the art of how I cook them that makes them...well...better than the Princess's :LOL:

kayelle...I know what you mean about soaking the bread overnight in a Breakfast Casserole or strata...I do that too. But I usually don't have that forethought for french toast, plus I don't want it falling apart. I do get it soaked through though.

Oh no...the throw down was with you MA! My recipe against yours, but now that I see you use a rosemary bread...:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom