Refrigerating Cooking oils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I needed some toasted sesame oil for a recipe and the only size the store had was 16.5 oz. I only use a tablespoon or so in a month. Should I refrigerate it? What other oils should be refrigerated to slow rancidity?

I keep all my oils; sesame, olive, canola, peanut, chili; in a cabinet away from heat sources. No need to refrigerate.

Like Andy said, they'll be fine at room temp for a couple months, but eventually any oil will go rancid after opening. For most of my common oils (canola, olive, peanut), that's long enough for me to use up the bottle.

If there are some that you almost never use, you can prolong their life by keeping in the fridge. For me, sesame oil falls in that category.

I refrigerate my toasted sesame oil, although the label does not indicate that being necessary.

Any oil will last longer against rancidity if refrigerated, although it's not necessary.

I keep a few oils that I don't use much in the fridge. Others that I use frequently are on the counter or in a cupboard.

Biggest thing about oils is that it is kept at a semi-cool temp and that it is kept in a pantry or cupboard. Light will really cut back on the shelf life.

Back
Top Bottom