"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Regular spoon to measured tablespoon conversion

Can anyone suggest a rule of thumb conversion from "regular" spoon to measured tablespoon?

My first step in trying to eat healthier this year is to keep oatmeal at my desk at work so I can make myself breakfast on days I'm to rushed to eat it at home. It will save me a lot of money and calories in Tim Hortons.

My problem is that the recipe for one serving of Quaker oatmeal is 1/2 c oats, 1 c water, but I do not have a 1/2 c measure at my desk and I don't really want to buy a new set or bring one from home (where I need it). I do have a spoon. Not a soup spoon, but a regular .... cereal spoon?

I know that these are technically called "teaspoons", but they definitely hold more than a measured teaspoon.

Thank you!

Old 01-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteEyes View Post
Can anyone suggest a rule of thumb conversion from "regular" spoon to measured tablespoon?

My first step in trying to eat healthier this year is to keep oatmeal at my desk at work so I can make myself breakfast on days I'm to rushed to eat it at home. It will save me a lot of money and calories in Tim Hortons.

My problem is that the recipe for one serving of Quaker oatmeal is 1/2 c oats, 1 c water, but I do not have a 1/2 c measure at my desk and I don't really want to buy a new set or bring one from home (where I need it). I do have a spoon. Not a soup spoon, but a regular .... cereal spoon?

I know that these are technically called "teaspoons", but they definitely hold more than a measured teaspoon.

Thank you!
You could buy a half cup measure at a thrift store. Or you can take your spoon home from work and measure a soup spoon at a time into your 1/2 cup measure to find out how many spoonfuls it takes. Not knowing the capacity of your spoon, we can't really answer your question accurately.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

There is no conversion because flatware comes in all different sizes and shapes. How about checking out various jars/food containers and finding one that measures a half cup. That way you can use one measure for the oatmeal and two for the water. You have a 5-month old so how about a baby food jar?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you have a single cup coffee maker in work such as a Keurig? They ofter different volumes of water for stronger or weaker coffee. You could set it to 8 Oz. for the water. Premeasure the dry oatmeal into sandwich bags and take them to work for later use.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteEyes View Post

Thank you!
The simplest and least troublesome solution to your problem is to go to Dollar Tree and purchase a set of measuring cups and spoons that would "live" at your office. You'd always have accurate measurements and it doesn't seem like $2 would break the bank.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Pick up a measuring cup or a set of measuring cups at the dollar store just for use at work, easy peazy!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

Take a plastic mug, draw line in the middle. That is half, fill that half with oat meal, pour into a bowl, then you fill the mug full with water, nuke. Simple. You have now made oatmeal. Yes it might not be correct amount but it ask for 1 half of oat meal to what ever amount you use in water.

So if you use a pint glass of water, you need half pint of oat meal.... that is alot of oat meal.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Head Chef

Putting things in perspective, how many measuring cups can you buy for the price of one Tim Horton's caloric bomb?