Regular spoon to measured tablespoon conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SatelliteEyes

Assistant Cook
Can anyone suggest a rule of thumb conversion from "regular" spoon to measured tablespoon?

My first step in trying to eat healthier this year is to keep oatmeal at my desk at work so I can make myself breakfast on days I'm to rushed to eat it at home. It will save me a lot of money and calories in Tim Hortons.

My problem is that the recipe for one serving of Quaker oatmeal is 1/2 c oats, 1 c water, but I do not have a 1/2 c measure at my desk and I don't really want to buy a new set or bring one from home (where I need it). I do have a spoon. Not a soup spoon, but a regular .... cereal spoon?

I know that these are technically called "teaspoons", but they definitely hold more than a measured teaspoon.

Thank you!

Can anyone suggest a rule of thumb conversion from "regular" spoon to measured tablespoon?

My first step in trying to eat healthier this year is to keep oatmeal at my desk at work so I can make myself breakfast on days I'm to rushed to eat it at home. It will save me a lot of money and calories in Tim Hortons.

My problem is that the recipe for one serving of Quaker oatmeal is 1/2 c oats, 1 c water, but I do not have a 1/2 c measure at my desk and I don't really want to buy a new set or bring one from home (where I need it). I do have a spoon. Not a soup spoon, but a regular .... cereal spoon?

I know that these are technically called "teaspoons", but they definitely hold more than a measured teaspoon.

Thank you!

You could buy a half cup measure at a thrift store. Or you can take your spoon home from work and measure a soup spoon at a time into your 1/2 cup measure to find out how many spoonfuls it takes. Not knowing the capacity of your spoon, we can't really answer your question accurately.

There is no conversion because flatware comes in all different sizes and shapes. How about checking out various jars/food containers and finding one that measures a half cup. That way you can use one measure for the oatmeal and two for the water. You have a 5-month old so how about a baby food jar?

Do you have a single cup coffee maker in work such as a Keurig? They ofter different volumes of water for stronger or weaker coffee. You could set it to 8 Oz. for the water. Premeasure the dry oatmeal into sandwich bags and take them to work for later use.

Thank you!

The simplest and least troublesome solution to your problem is to go to Dollar Tree and purchase a set of measuring cups and spoons that would "live" at your office. You'd always have accurate measurements and it doesn't seem like $2 would break the bank.

Take a plastic mug, draw line in the middle. That is half, fill that half with oat meal, pour into a bowl, then you fill the mug full with water, nuke. Simple. You have now made oatmeal. Yes it might not be correct amount but it ask for 1 half of oat meal to what ever amount you use in water.

So if you use a pint glass of water, you need half pint of oat meal.... that is alot of oat meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom