Reheatables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
First, let me apologize if this wasn't the best place to put this. I'm looking for all sorts of recipes, not specifically for one type of ingredient. Admin/Mods, I certainly understand relocation to a more appropriate forum. :)

Second, what do I mean? I am looking for recipes that would go from being prepared directly to freezer, versus a trip to the table before the leftovers are sent to the ice box. In my research, I've discovered I really only have a couple of casserole recipes that fit the bill (tater tot hot dish, Sheperd's pie, and a cheesy chicken casserole). The whole intent is that the "pre" prepared meal would go from freezer to oven (maybe a stop to thaw first) to table. :cool:

Side note to this, advice and information for methods of preparing a meal typically seen a la carte yet freezing said meals for reheat at a later date would be appreciated. Y'all can probably see what direction I am heading requesting this information. As/if things develop, there will be more on that later (no spilling the beans for the few privvy to specifically what I mean!). I don't want to get hopes raised and have things fall through! :chef:

I often make soup, chili and spaghetti and freeze them before serving.
But.. I don't really make any casseroles. Sorry.

pdswife said:
I often make soup, chili and spaghetti and freeze them before serving.
But.. I don't really make any casseroles. Sorry.

No problem! I'm not certain such dishes would have to be limited to casseroles or soups.

On the soups bit, what effect, if any, does the freezing have on the ingredients of the soup, meaning veggies in particular?

Hadn't thought about freezing soups/chili, and especially not spaghetti. I would assume that would be unsauced? Well, I guess it wouldn't have to be. :huh:

Makes me think of another recipe, a pasta bake. I would think it would freeze fine, which implies sauces spaghetti ought to freeze fine too (or any pasta for that matter, well, maybe depending on the sauce).

The veggies seem to be a little softer after freezing
but they are still ok.

I freeze the noodles and the sauce in different containers for the spaghetti.

Can't wait to hear what others say...

I have made pans and pans of stuffed shells and put them directly into the freezer - i suppose this would do for lasagna and manicotti, too. i do not put any mozzarella cheese on top though, i do that after it has thawed and cooked in oven a bit.

Ham and Beans freeze well...as does the cornbread which you can make in muffin tins so you can take out however you many you need.

Here are some ideas for making TV Dinners at home. I would think that just about any tv dinner combo could be used here. Cook food ahead i,e. chicken parmesan, meatloaf, meatballs, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, veggies, and on and. Let them cool and follow the suggestions in the links. Oh, and portions of fruit in the dinner compartments.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_18478,00.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22284,00.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22282,00.html

To save time, another thought - saute ground beef with all the seasonings and freeze in small portions in freezer bags. When you have a recipe calling for ground beef (tacos, etc), it's already cooked. Perhaps do the same with rice and pasta/alfredo - or buy those seal a meal gadgets.

Just remembered, I have a recipe (hope I saved it) for Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Ravioli, made with won ton skins. However, you could prepare a filling of choice, seal it up between two won ton skins, and freeze in zip locks. Then, either steam or boil them, and add sauce of choice.

Frozen pizza on french bread/rolls/foccacia, can be made ahead as well. Slice the bread, spoon over sauce, add toppings of choice, wrap individually in aluminum foil and freeze. Heat them up in the oven. The topping choices are endless. You could use leftovers, i.e. steak etc., and make a philly cheese pizza. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
Mish, you've got so many great tips! Love the wonton ravioli idea especially -- Opens up so many possibilities... Thanks!

Freezing anything made with gravy and potato chunks don't freeze well. Stew doesn't do well frozen, at least not by my experience with it.
I just made a couple dozen egg rolls and froze them. Anything made with the wonton wrappers freeze well. Have also frozen many different pasta hot dishes. When I freeze pasta I undercook it or it seems to be a little mushy after thawed.
I have made alot of home made so called tv dinners and they are so handy and so good compared to the store ones.Just remember to not over cook the ingredients.
Somedays I spend a morning making chili and freeze in a ice cream pail as I do with soup. Beef and chicken and veggie soups freeze well.
When I make lasagna I always make a doulble batch so I can freeze one for later use. Real handy when unexpected company knocks on the door.

Chopstix said:
Mish, you've got so many great tips! Love the wonton ravioli idea especially -- Opens up so many possibilities... Thanks!

You are very welcome, Chopstix and Thank you. :chef:

Quick question about the wonton ravioli. Do you fry it, or can they be boiled and then put sauce over them? This sounds really good and we have some leftover wonton wrappers in the fridge.

Thanks.:)

paxpuella said:
Quick question about the wonton ravioli. Do you fry it, or can they be boiled and then put sauce over them? This sounds really good and we have some leftover wonton wrappers in the fridge.

Thanks.:)

Welcome to DC, paxpuella.

Re BD's question about reheatables... They don't need to be pre-cooked, unless, perhaps, you are adding ground beef/pork etc. (At least, I always do.) You can cook the filling ahead, and let it cool before stuffing the won tons. Lay them out flat and freeze, then pop them into a freezer bag.

I have cooked the won tons many ways - i.e. dropped them in a soup or broth I'm cooking, boiled in water, fry with some oil, baked, steamed, and then added the sauce of choice.

Much healthier/less costly/better tasting than the frozen bags that cost from $8.99 - $15.00 at the market.

mish said:
Welcome to DC, paxpuella.

Re BD's question about reheatables... They don't need to be pre-cooked, unless, perhaps, you are adding ground beef/pork etc. (At least, I always do.) You can cook the filling ahead, and let it cool before stuffing the won tons. Lay them out flat and freeze, then pop them into a freezer bag.

I have cooked the won tons many ways - i.e. dropped them in a soup or broth I'm cooking, boiled in water, fry with some oil, baked, steamed, and then added the sauce of choice.

Much healthier/less costly/better tasting than the frozen bags that cost from $8.99 - $15.00 at the market.

We've only fried our wontons trying to make the crab rangoon like you get at chinese restaurants. Even at that it is only a once or twice a year thing. I try not to fry too many things as we need to watch our waistlines. :rolleyes: I never really thought about using them for other things.

(edited to add) Sorry, I just reread some of the posts above and saw where you stated they could be boiled. Oops.

paxpuella said:
We've only fried our wontons trying to make the crab rangoon like you get at chinese restaurants. Even at that it is only a once or twice a year thing. I try not to fry too many things as we need to watch our waistlines. :rolleyes: I never really thought about using them for other things.

(edited to add) Sorry, I just reread some of the posts above and saw where you stated they could be boiled. Oops.

You are very welcome. No prob. You might like a bamboo steamer... but a steamer basket over a Dutch oven, works well too. Baking them on a tray is another option. Depends of the texture/crispiness you prefer. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom