Reheating bacon water for cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
I have boiled my bacon tonight for tomorrow nights dinner (its now in the oven basting in butter, sugar and whiskey). I want to keep the water to cook the cabbage in tomorrow night. My question is do i have to wait for it to cool down and then pop it in the fridge or would it be ok in the pot on top of the cooker for roughly 20 hours?

Even though bacon can be left out I wouldn't leave the water out. You have decreased a lot of the preservative powers IMHO. Cool down and refrigerate.

Care to share your recipe for that bacon? It sounds wonderful!

Hhhmmmmmmm, knew that was going to be the response, will just have to have a beer while i'm waiting for the water to cool down to put into fridge!!!!

Receipe dead easy. Bacon or ham boiled for the usual 20 mins per lbs plus 20 over. The glaze is a tablespoon of butter softened, tablespoon of brown sugar and a drop of whiskey all mixed together. Fat removed from ham and ham scored, then the glaze rubbed on and into a moderate oven (gas 4) for 20/25 mins. Yummy scrummy if i don't say so myself.

I agree with kitchenelf .... while you can leave bacon grease out unrefrigerated for a day or two because it has no water in it, what you have is basically a pot of pork stock.

The recipe sounds delicious! But then - what wouldn't be good with a little butter, brown sugar and Irish whiskey smeared over it???

Hhhmmmmmmm, knew that was going to be the response, will just have to have a beer while i'm waiting for the water to cool down to put into fridge!!!!

Receipe dead easy. Bacon or ham boiled for the usual 20 mins per lbs plus 20 over. The glaze is a tablespoon of butter softened, tablespoon of brown sugar and a drop of whiskey all mixed together. Fat removed from ham and ham scored, then the glaze rubbed on and into a moderate oven (gas 4) for 20/25 mins. Yummy scrummy if i don't say so myself.

I certainly don't want to interrupt that beer :LOL: but you can add some ice cubes to a ziplock bag, zip it, and add it to that bacon water. Also, you can keep soda bottles full of water in your freezer - leave about a 2" head space for the ice to expand - and add that to your stock or soup to cool down. Now, get back to that beer :LOL:

Like the plastic bottle idea! will certainly use that in the future, but right now really enjoying the beer!!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Like the plastic bottle idea! will certainly use that in the future, but right now really enjoying the beer!!!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm with you Douzer. No need to hurry things along.:LOL:

That recipe really sounds good. I've been meaning to try a bacon/cabbage type recipe.

In the absence of the water bottles or ziplock bags - you can also add a bunch of ice cubes to a sink of water and stick your pot in that - just remember to stir the pot every few (about 5) minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom