"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i'm just goofing around.

because you ard jewish, i was being ignorant as if you knew all jews.

yeah, it's not so funny when explained.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #32
Head Chef

My wifes ex-boss, had a Parrot named Moishe, who spoke Hebrew. So, I do know someone named moishe , ( and I know a Mike too lol )

Old 10-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

My Grandmother Barbara, who I"m lucky to say is still with us but nearing 90, makes the best chili and hamburger stew. As a matter of fact, all of her stew type dishes were to die for. Maybe because her mother came from Ireland and they used lots of large veggies in stews, but they were all amazing. When I walked into her house and took a whiff and then see a big pot on the stove my mouth waters! For that reason, big stews are my "go to" for an easy, throw whatever you got, type meal any time of the week. IT also goes a long with with lots of left overs.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanrock View Post
My Grandmother Barbara, who I"m lucky to say is still with us but nearing 90, makes the best chili and hamburger stew. As a matter of fact, all of her stew type dishes were to die for. Maybe because her mother came from Ireland and they used lots of large veggies in stews, but they were all amazing. When I walked into her house and took a whiff and then see a big pot on the stove my mouth waters! For that reason, big stews are my "go to" for an easy, throw whatever you got, type meal any time of the week. IT also goes a long with with lots of left overs.
I used to make a hamburger soup for my kids. But I have forgotten the recipe. The kids loved it. And the perfect time of year is coming upon us.

Welcome to DC.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, i'm just goofing around.

because you ard jewish, i was being ignorant as if you knew all jews.

yeah, it's not so funny when explained.
Gotcha. Every Russian person my MIL meats, she asks if they know me, even though we might be from completely different end of the Soviet Union.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Gotcha. Every Russian person my MIL meats, she asks if they know me, even though we might be from completely different end of the Soviet Union.
Sounds like she is ready to extoll all of your virtues or is looking for some juicy dirt about you.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #38
Head Chef

My mom's mother was not a particularly good cook. She was raised in a wealthy family and didn't even learn to boil water until she got married. My grandfather actually taught her how to cook, although I'm not sure why he knew how. It was pretty unusual back then for men to do much in the kitchen.

I didn't know my paternal grandmother well, although I loved spending time at her house, right on the lake in Balsam Lake, Wisconsin. We always ate well there, but I have few memories of what we ate. However, my Aunt Myrle, (paternal Uncle Irwin's wife), was a great cook, did a lot of canning, made jams and jellies, and it was always a treat to visit them. I spent the summer after 5th grade with them in Greybull, Wyoming and that was an adventure for a Minnesota kid in 1956. The one thing I remember best from that time was her BLT sandwiches. I loved BLT's (still do). but she added a flavor step that I've never seen anyone else do, and that was to wilt the lettuce in the bacon fat immediately before putting it on the sandwich. Just a small thing, but that memory has stayed with me for almost 60 years.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My Nana, was of French Canadian descent, her parents immigrated here. She cooked a lot of pork dishes, roast pork, pork pie, cretons (pork pate spread) etc. Her dishes were all economical, she was one of 11 children and her mom died when she was young, so she had to learn to cook cheaply for her big family. She often fell asleep while cooking especially baking something like Lasagna, so it would always have burned edges. She spoiled me with food. She also made raisin cookies, and I remember being fooled thinking that they were chocolate chip more than once!

My other grandmother, Gigi, was a much more exotic cook. She was the type that would try interesting recipes that she found in magazines and newspaper. As kids this didn't always go over very well! Believe it or not, the favorite thing that she made for us was poached eggs on buttered toast. She had this old egg poaching pan with triangle shaped inserts in it. She would butter the toast with such gusto that she'd end up buttering her hand in the process. She'd serve this with Sizzlean, anyone remember this stuff? Gigi is still alive she's in a nursing home, a really good one, but Alzheimers is taking its toll. I still make egg on toast to this day.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I think over the years I have been building food memories for my own grandchildren. Every holiday I make something very special for the holiday meal. A chocolate chips cheesecake for my daughter's son. His birthday is in January, and it is his Christmas/Birthday cake. I used to make a 7" one just for him. Now I make the big one so he has to share it with the whole family. For my granddaughter, she gets a pineapple upside down cake. I use the juice from the can of rings in the cake. She absolutely raves about it for months on end. I also taught my grandson when he was about six, how to eat long spaghetti with a fork. He tells everyone about it to this day. "My grandmother taught me the easy and proper way to eat pasta." Peanut butter cookies are another favorite among the g'kids. No matter how many I make, it is never enough. Pumpkin cookies with cranberries is another favorite. This Thanksgiving it will be the pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap cookie crust.

I have always told my kids that their first job with raising kids is to keep them safe, teach them right from wrong and to build happy memories for them. I think I have done that. And from these stories, a lot of other grandparents over the years past have done so also.

Tags
cook, cooking