"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #41
Head Chef

ADDIE - Here 's my Hamburger soup that I use from the Pioneer women
Hamburger Soup | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
ADDIE - Here 's my Hamburger soup that I use from the Pioneer women
Hamburger Soup | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
Thanks. That's it except for the peppers. It is meals like this that makes this cold raw weather bearable.

When the kids were small, the peppers were always for stuffing. This soup can be made with the cheapest ground beef you can find. The secret is make sure you drain the grease. It is a very inexpensive soup and yet very filling. With a big hunk of artisan bread to dip into the broth, you find yourself in food heaven.

Tonight it will be Scotch Broth (lamb stew) with barley. But Hamburger Soup is definitely on the list for this week. Just the weather for it.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #43
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I remember a lot of lunches with my gran - she made canned soup and very fancy (think lady-like) sandwiches. The sort with crusts removed. This "barbarian meets royalty" lunch was always served at a linen draped fully set table. Sit up straight, Janet, don't fidget, a lady doesn't slurp... ;)

I made her marble cake a few days ago - it's still my favorite recipe Bakers Chocolate Bar Size - fail.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #44
Master Chef

Grandma didn't cook. Grandpa did. I guess it runs in the family.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

you got the runs from grandpa's cooking?

c'mon. spill it. what did grandpa cook?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you got the runs from grandpa's cooking?

c'mon. spill it. what did grandpa cook?
Grandpa had false teeth and so he was fond of the pressure cooker for meats. He also made chicken fried steak, taught me the pancake song, and made pancakes, waffles, grilled cheese, a lot of meat and potato suppers, cooked the Thanksgiving meal, fabulous pan fried brook trout, pan fried smelt, cod cakes, roast beef that was carved for lunch meat. We ate sardines, pickled pigs feet, chicaroons, New England boiled dinner, and other things of that sort.

I learned to love eggs poached in a poaching pan, with lots of butter in the egg cups before the raw egg was added, served up on toast. Fried potatoes were a treat as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Grandpa had false teeth and so he was fond of the pressure cooker for meats. He also made chicken fried steak, taught me the pancake song, and made pancakes, waffles, grilled cheese, a lot of meat and potato suppers, cooked the Thanksgiving meal, fabulous pan fried brook trout, pan fried smelt, cod cakes, roast beef that was carved for lunch meat. We ate sardines, pickled pigs feet, chicaroons, New England boiled dinner, and other things of that sort.

I learned to love eggs poached in a poaching pan, with lots of butter in the egg cups before the raw egg was added, served up on toast. Fried potatoes were a treat as well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's exactly how my grandmother did her poached eggs, good knob of butter in each cup.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
Head Chef

I don't remember my fathers mother at all but she must have been an okay cook because my father loved Sauerbraten and all things German.

My Grandmother on my mothers side isn't someone I think of when it comes to cooking.
Her sister who was referred to as my Aunt Helen is someone I remember prepping green beans with and I wish I had her recipe for mustard pickle.
I do recall my Grandmother being involved with cooking Virginia Ham but I don't think of her as much of a cook.
Now I do remember her house keeper.
Ethel Wiggins.
She cooked most meals when we visited my Grandmother.
I loved her like a second Mom.
And she made the best fried chicken in the world.
Years later I asked her for her recipe and she said a little of this and a little of that. I will always believe that the main ingredient was love.

Ethel always ate her chicken with ketchup. I once asked her why she dipped her chicken in ketchup because it was so good by itself? She looked at me and said. "You enjoy your chicken the way you like it and I enjoy my chicken the way I like it" Those words have stuck with me for 50 years now.

God Bless you Ethel where ever your soul is today.

Tags
cook, cooking