Remove garlic smell in jar lid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

books

Assistant Cook
Is there any way to remove the garlic smell from the metal lid of a minced garlic jar? I reuse the glass food jars when emptied.

I don't think you can. The lid is lined with a plastic to make it nonreactive and it also contains a sealing compound - both of these will retain the odor. And, the aroma get's "baked in" during the heat processing to can the garlic.

you can use some citrus juice such as lemon juice, it absorbs the odor..

I know how NOT to do this- the dishwasher. It took me a week & a whole box of baking soda, half a bottle of vinegar & many drops of essential oil of orange to get the stink out! I ended up throwing the lid & jar away in the end. Wish i had read this first! :)

I know how NOT to do this- the dishwasher. It took me a week & a whole box of baking soda, half a bottle of vinegar & many drops of essential oil of orange to get the stink out! I ended up throwing the lid & jar away in the end. Wish i had read this first! :)
Are you saying you washed the lid and the smell contaminated your dishwasher?

Thank you all...especially Michael in FTW. i tossed the lid yesterday after trying several of the suggestions. But after reading the response from michael in ftw, i feel better about it (some compounds have a lingering influence thats not worth fighting).

Back
Top Bottom