Remove Packaging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I buy frozen salmon and cod fillets at Costco in 3 lb bags. Each fillet/section is in its own vacuum sealed/packed plastic bag.
On each individual bag it is written to remove the packaging before thawing or cooking.
Why must I remove the fish from the bag to thaw it out?

I have been meaning to ask them at the store. But I doubt they know the answer. But I bet you guys do?

I've noticed that as well. I always assumed it was so the fish isn't laying around in it's own slimey goop as it defrosts.

I doubt they would care about that?
I am thawing out two sections of cod today. I am leaving them in the bag to thaw. Lets see if there is a valid reason?

Edit: I found these answers.

1) Because bacteria can develop during the thaw process, especially for seafood. When in an anaerobic (airless) environment, there is a chance of the formation of the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, also known as C-bot, a cause of food poisoning. By removing the packaging, you eliminate the risk of C-bot contamination. Just to be on the safe side, the FDA requires these guidelines for all vacuum-packed seafood.

2) A curious phenomenon with seafood. When it thaws in an anaerobic environment (vacuum packed), there is a chance it will develop Clostridium botulinum (aka: C-bot), a food poisoning. The chances are not great, but the FDA requires the warning on all vacuum-packed frozen seafood. The symptoms of C-bot are similar to botulism. C-bot is an anaerobic spore-former, and as such air kills it. Therefore take the frozen fish out of its vacuum pack and put it in a zip-lock with some air in it.

Last edited:
Interesting information, RB. Logic would have told me that in order to avoid bacteria/contamination, the package should remain sealed. According to what you've found, the opposite is possible. I'll remember this for future reference. Although, I've been thawing our fish/seafood in the packaging, in the refrigerator, for years. Guess we've been lucky.

After finding more information, I removed the cod sections from the vacuum sealed bags. LOL....

And they are thawing on my counter, not in the fridge. I need them for this evening.

I didn't know that. Good to know.

If you buy them you cannot miss the warning on the package labeling.
It says to remove the packaging before thawing.

So , if you did not know, you would when you open the bag and took out the sections.

I bought a small package of frozen smoked salmon at the local deli that sells bagels. The lady behind the counter told me the same thing. She had been told by the food inspector. I was very surprised. I figured it had to be the anaerobic bacteria because she had been told that she could leave it in the package to thaw as long as she opened it.

Of course it's been a month or so since I bought "fresh" fish. The last fish I bought was breaded for Shrek.

Mrs D has been buying Lox for as long as I can remember and the warning has always been on the package. We just did it. I figured they knew better than we did.

I have seen this warning many times. Never really thought much of it, just did what it said. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The only frozen fish I have ever dealt with is what I have frozen the day it was shot. The only cod I have ever had was salt preserved.

Back
Top Bottom