Replace Heavy Whipping Cream With FF 1/2 & 1/2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
Has anyone successfully replaced heavy whipping cream in a recipe (soup in this case) with fat free half-and-half? I'm just wondering if it would change it too much or ruin it.

I honestly don't know, but I would think it would be way different. Maybe if you replaced it with regular half & half it would be ok? It would have more fat than the other half & half, but a lot less than heavy whipping cream. It would still be thinner though, I would think. But, as I said, I don't know that from experience. Hopefully someone who has tried it will respond.

:)Barbara

I always use Fat free 1/2 & 1/2 instead of heavy cream for cream soups, white sauces (mac and cheese sauce, garlic bechamel sauce etc) and alfredo sauce. I only have heavy cream when I want fresh whipped cream. I always have 1/2 & 1/2 in the house for coffee, tea, mashed taters etc

Last edited:
That's good to know! That is why I specified that I didn't have experience with it. Definitely worth trying then. :cool:

:)Barbara

I've also used the FF half and half in soups, gravies, sauces etc. No discernible difference in my experience. It's a great way to cut back on the fat intake.

I write a cooking article for a mag. and last year I actually wrote an article on resolutions and not giving up comfort food. I wrote up a recipe for butternut squash soup and it comes out great with ff half and half! imagine creamy butternut squash soup, with NO guilt...mmmm....although I do believe it is a bit sweeter than the real stuff! ciao!

I write a cooking article for a mag. and last year I actually wrote an article on resolutions and not giving up comfort food. I wrote up a recipe for butternut squash soup and it comes out great with ff half and half! imagine creamy butternut squash soup, with NO guilt...mmmm....although I do believe it is a bit sweeter than the real stuff! ciao!

YEs. I dont like the corn syrup and other junk they put into it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom