Replacing beer in a recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zelemont

Assistant Cook
Hi! I am only 19, and my parents dont drink, so I don't have access to the beer required in a recipe I have for a cheese sauce. Can the beer be replaced with anything? If so, will it taste the same?

Can you post your recipe so we can help you better? Maybe you can ask your parents to buy one beer for your recipe?

Horseshoe Sandwich

Two local chefs created the Springfield Horseshoe Sandwich in 1928 at the Leland Hotel in Springfield, Illinois.
Frozen French fries
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup beer
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar or Colby cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 slices bread
Cooked meat (ham, hamburger, corned beef,
chicken, bacon, shrimp, turkey, etc.)
Dash of paprika
Prepare frozen French fries according to package directions.
Meanwhile, prepare cheese sauce by first beating egg yolks and beer together.
Melt butter and cheese together over boiling water, stirring in one direction only with wooden spoon.
Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne pepper.
Stirring constantly, add beer/egg mixture to cheese mixture a little at a time. Keep mixture hot as you stir, but don't let it bubble.
Meanwhile, toast bread.
Meanwhile, preheat platter. Place toast on platter. Place meat atop toast. Cover meat with cheese sauce. Circle platter with French fries. Add dash of paprika.
Makes 1 serving.
Tip
Constant stirring and top-quality cheese will yield a smooth mixture.

This sounds kinda similar to welsh rarebit (if you left out the eggs) and some people make it with milk rather than beer. Doing this will alter the flavour of the recipe as well as the texture. You could also experiment with a beef bullion, again you are going to have a lot of changes in flavour and texture.

I would suggest like amber, that you get your fols to buy you one beer (and they drink the rest!!!) for the recipe.

Or move to the UK where you can buy liqour at 18!!!!

Minus the beer and french fries, this recipe is a lot like the hot browns my Aunt Ruth in Kentucky used to make.

You could use a non-alcoholic beer, like O'Douls, or you could use a different cheese sauce recipe. It might not taste quite the same, but it will still be good.

Melt 2 tbls butter, stir in 2 tbls of flour, then whisk in 2 cups of milk or chicken broth, or half of each, a little at a time. When smooth, add cheeses and seasonings, and cook on medium heat until thickened.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrr

zelemont said:
Hi! I am only 19, and my parents dont drink, so I don't have access to the beer required in a recipe I have for a cheese sauce. Can the beer be replaced with anything? If so, will it taste the same?
Simply can't be substituted and get the same taste..

I agree with Kyles, this is a rarebit recipe.

Short of getting a non-alcoholic beer, which is a fine idea, I might suggest taking club soda and dissolving about a forth of a beef boullion cube in it.

And cut back on the salt a bit.

That is the way I would go.

I agree with celtic, the beer gives distinctive flavour and will be hard to find a substitute, however maybe if you told your parents that it is for cooking and all alcohol will be evaporated then maybe you will get to use some.

Actually a lot of the alcohol will be left in it if it's only cooked for that short period of time.

I'd go with an O'Douls's for the taste. It really won't taste like it should without the beer and O'Douls tastes pretty close.

Looks like a nice "rabbit" though I've never made one with eggs.

The thread seems somehow refreshing: a teenager who had difficulty finding a beer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom