Rescuing the worst caviar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamlet_cat

Assistant Cook
I just bought the worst tasting caviar I think ever made. Not sure though. It is salty and so fishy tasting. I want to through it out but it was expensive and I do know it is fairly nutritious. Is there anyway to serve it so that it tastes less salty and less fishy. It is pretty bad.

I'll take any suggestions that might help.

I agree with Aunt Bea. Bait? Do you fish? Mix with cream cheese and green onions with lots of hot sauce?

Maybe you can take it back to the store.

Last edited:
I mind the time that I ran across some caviar in the brand new Farm Fresh store over in the town where I used to work.
Not knowing anything at all about caviar, I bought some. It was orange...I seem to recall that it was made from salmon. 'Tweren't bad but it was a mite salty and quite fishy. Never bought any since. I likely won't unless I suddenly become wealthy enough to buy Beluga. But it ain't lookin' like that is gonna happen any time soon.

Caviar is very salty and fishy by its very nature. It sounds to me like you bought caviar. Depending on the mother fish, flavors can vary, but Tobiko, Salmon, Beluga, Sturgeon, etc are all super briney and taste like the ocean, intensified.

You can use it to puree into sauces for salt, you can make compound butter with it, compound cream cheese/neufchatel, use in salad dressing (instead of Anchovy), use it sparingly in omelettes, actually, most egg preparations stand up to caviar pretty well.

Caviar is very salty and fishy by its very nature. It sounds to me like you bought caviar. Depending on the mother fish, flavors can vary, but Tobiko, Salmon, Beluga, Sturgeon, etc are all super briney and taste like the ocean, intensified.

You can use it to puree into sauces for salt, you can make compound butter with it, compound cream cheese/neufchatel, use in salad dressing (instead of Anchovy), use it sparingly in omelettes, actually, most egg preparations stand up to caviar pretty well.

Boy these all sound like good ideas. My dad loved to fish and took it into his head to fry up a bunch of fish eggs he cleaned out of a fish. Well it's probably needless to say they were not very good and we were never served them again but I think of them every time someone mentions caviar. You guys sure dredged up a lot of long forgotten memories for me.

I can't stand anything fishy, but have had some wonderful caviar. Some were tiny black eggs that just burst in your mouth, others were different colors, but none of them fishy. The only fishy tasting caviar I remember was when my 4th grade teacher doled out a salmon egg to each of us, and insisted that we taste it!

That's what I was thinking. ;)

Boy these all sound like good ideas. My dad loved to fish and took it into his head to fry up a bunch of fish eggs he cleaned out of a fish. Well it's probably needless to say they were not very good and we were never served them again but I think of them every time someone mentions caviar. You guys sure dredged up a lot of long forgotten memories for me.
In Denmark, they cook cod roe. It has to be very carefully poached. Many cooks wrap it in parchment and some wrap it the parchment package in foil. Then you can eat it or you can slice it and fry it.

If it's overcooked, it gets dry and not very nice. It's quite nice if done properly.

We buy shad roe. This is very good! We saute it very carefully with onion, butter, cracked black pepper, and tiny bit of garlic powder. It is very good with roasted potatoes and some steamed broccoli.

Your friend,
~Cat

We buy shad roe. This is very good! We saute it very carefully with onion, butter, cracked black pepper, and tiny bit of garlic powder. It is very good with roasted potatoes and some steamed broccoli.

Your friend,
~Cat

While still roe, it's very different from caviar as it hasn't been treated, sized, salted, tinned. Also, it depends on the fish from where the eggs come from.

I typically associate roe with smaller fish, egg "sacks" still intact. Lightly dredged in flour and pan-fried in clarified butter, with some lemon and hot sauce, sign me up! I did have the chance to try mullet roe (we would normally use mullet as bait), but saw that Andrew Z-man ate 'em on the show he has. . .I was NOT running back for more. Kinda like sawdust and sea salt, just well, a bizarre textural experience, flavor wasn't too bad, but damn, that texture. . . it would take a lot more than a pitcher of beer to wanna get back into those things. I feel the same about Shad roe.

Caviar comes from the sturgeon fish. It is roe but it is a bit different. Sturgeons are the bottom feeders of the Black Sea. This is known of the Beluga Caviar. Papa has a fishing vessel moored in Constanta and he captures these upon his sailings.

Caviar is processed and tinned, and often flavored. Shad roe is not.

Your friend,
~Cat

While still roe, it's very different from caviar as it hasn't been treated, sized, salted, tinned. Also, it depends on the fish from where the eggs come from.

I typically associate roe with smaller fish, egg "sacks" still intact. Lightly dredged in flour and pan-fried in clarified butter, with some lemon and hot sauce, sign me up! I did have the chance to try mullet roe (we would normally use mullet as bait), but saw that Andrew Z-man ate 'em on the show he has. . .I was NOT running back for more. Kinda like sawdust and sea salt, just well, a bizarre textural experience, flavor wasn't too bad, but damn, that texture. . . it would take a lot more than a pitcher of beer to wanna get back into those things. I feel the same about Shad roe.
Yeah, cod roe easily gets that sawdust texture. I have found that most people cook it like that, but some people can make it turn out better. I'm not in a rush to have it again either. ;) If I want to eat something from a cod that most North Americans don't eat, it will be cod liver pate. :yum:

Last edited:
I just bought the worst tasting caviar I think ever made. Not sure though. It is salty and so fishy tasting. I want to through it out but it was expensive and I do know it is fairly nutritious. Is there anyway to serve it so that it tastes less salty and less fishy. It is pretty bad.

I'll take any suggestions that might help.
Umm, the whole point of caviar is that it's salty and fishy - it's fish eggs preserved in salt after all.

There are plenty of other foods that are good for you without wasting money on something that tastes bad.

I think caviar is one of those things that is not meant to be eaten by itself; it should be a garnish on something else. Just my opinion, of course :) I tasted it a few times when I was a waitress at an officers' club in college (we served lots of banquets) and as I recall, there was a dollop on canapes, soups, etc. I've never bought it myself, though.

Had caviar a couple of times.

It's not for me. :(

Try to find some nice kitties who would like it if you don't.

And if kitties don't like it then that should tell you plenty about the product.

Trying to get something you don't like to turn into something you do like is effort that could be better spent experimenting with flavors you do enjoy. :)

Had caviar a couple of times.

It's not for me. :(

Try to find some nice kitties who would like it if you don't.

And if kitties don't like it then that should tell you plenty about the product.

Trying to get something you don't like to turn into something you do like is effort that could be better spent experimenting with flavors you do enjoy. :)
Kitties might think it is too salty.

That's true but mine love anything fishy.

Should I buy my babies some caviar to find out? ;)
Only if you will eat it or know someone who will if they don't like the saltiness. Besides, sometimes kitties are just being weird when they won't eat something. :rolleyes:

I find that a nice dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream takes the edge off the flavour, but still lets you taste the caviar.

Back
Top Bottom