Reusable baking/cooking sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EM38

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I am considering replacing all my aluminum foil, parchment paper for reusable/washable versions. What are your thoughts on this? Pros and cos? Many thanks! This is much appreciated.:chef:

Hi everyone, I am considering replacing all my aluminum foil, parchment paper for reusable/washable versions. What are your thoughts on this? Pros and cos? Many thanks! This is much appreciated.:chef:
Hi EM, welcome to DC!

Silicone baking mats are what you need! They come in a variety of sizes, they’re heat-safe up to 500°F, easy to wash. They’re can be bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Don’t throw out the parchment paper though!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Joel is right - silicone baking mats are great. They're not as expensive as they used to be, though. I have this set of three - two for half-sheet pans and one quarter sheet pan. They're available at Amazon for just under $14, which is $4 less than I paid for them about a year ago. They work exactly the same as the Silpat brand I bought several years ago and they have these handy inch marks.
jumbo_1516673041_55e496f7e702c4cd942b5d64100cd6377df43246_700x933.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, not sure about the SilPat thing and other silicone mats.

For several years I have used these.

One of my special children gave me a roll of this stuff and I could cut it into cake pan sizes, etc.

I've have used it for over 10 years and love it.

Welcome to the forum, EM38!

I also have some of those teflon sheets that Katie H noted. They were the only thing that would release some macaroons that I have baked for decades, until the silicone mats amd release foil came on the market. I like them more than the silicone mats, as the mats reduce the bottom browning of many baked goods, which helps in some, but usually I want a crust on things. The teflon insulates a little, but nothing like the thick silicone mats.

Many cookie sheets, and other bakeware, have a non-teflon release coating on them - a greenish or grayish pan, usually. It works well for most things, though eventually it wears off, and they will have to be replaced, as the pans are steel, and will rust in the scratches. However, I have two 9x5 bread pans that are decades old - some of the first Baker's Secret pans. They are still fine, as no implements ever touch them - the loaves slip right out, and they are hand washed. Not sure if that coating is DW resistant.

Last edited:
Salut neighbour and welcome to Discuss Cooking. I live on the West Island.

I like the reusable mats. I hate throwing away foil or parchment after one use. The mats also stand up to heat better than parchment. I got some silicone sheets from Dollarama for $3 each. They work fine, but do get stained. Betty Crocker brand, if you happen to by a Dollarama.

I'm on the other side of this issue having used silpats and teflonized papers for years... frankly I use disposable parchment sheets now because the price has come down and the the washing up goes faster.

My current favorite comes in a nice flat package that slides into the cabinet between the cookie sheets. Be sure to look for silicon coated parchment rather than other treatments... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJHB2YN

I'm on the other side of this issue having used silpats and teflonized papers for years... frankly I use disposable parchment sheets now because the price has come down and the the washing up goes faster.

My current favorite comes in a nice flat package that slides into the cabinet between the cookie sheets. Be sure to look for silicon coated parchment rather than other treatments... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJHB2YN

Thank you for posting this... :)

I have been purchasing sheets for my 1/2 cookie pans, 6 boxes at a time from Wilton.. I no longer use my main oven and I'm tired of folding them to fit my 1/4 sheet pans for the T.O.

I will obtain these soon..

Ross

I'm trying to minimize my use of one-time-use items, so I like the reusable silicone products. It's worth the little extra effort to clean them.

I'm trying to minimize my use of one-time-use items, so I like the reusable silicone products. It's worth the little extra effort to clean them.

My thoughts exactly. At least uncoated parchment can go in the compost. But, I still prefer to use as few as possible one use items.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom