"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'd say I wish I lived in the USA for food prices if it wasn't for your medical costs. As an example, supermarket basics chuck here is about $6.70lb!!! Mind you, here it's more or less the same cut but it's stewed or braised, not roasted. Chicken breasts come as fillets without the bone and are around $6lb. London broil doesn't exist in British butchery (how odd, given the name).
Chuck roast here is typically stewed or braised as well; in fact, I have a beef stew made with chuck roast on the stove right now.

We also have boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are more expensive than bone-in, skin-on. I prefer the latter because I like crispy skin and bone-in chicken has more flavor.

From what I've read, London Broil is a method of cooking rather than a cut of meat, although butchers often use the name instead - not sure why (I'd forgotten about that). It's usually a tougher cut from the top round, 2 inches or so thick, then scored, marinated, and broiled or grilled. It should not be cooked past medium-rare unless you're going to braise it.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I use chuck roasts for just about all slow cooked dishes. Stew, pot pies, braises, chili.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Sous Chef

food prices are only one aspect.

if one has paid any attention to "it's the economy, stupid" one will likely know "inflation" has been held in check.

if one has any inkling of "history" one know this only works for so long.

a 40-50 year "recap:"

- diversify diversify. that'll save us! (the businesses)
- oops. turns out the big guys bought stuff, fired everyone who knew anything about the business (that's the 'economy of scale' thing)
- then found out they didn't know squat about operating the business, which then floundered, so then we had

- "getting back to our core business"
- where the acquired businessi were spun off with no management skills, no money, no capital, already on rocky ground....
- heaps and piles the spin offs failed; rafts of people lost their careers.

next recession we had:
- downsize, baby, downsize.

next recession we had:
- gotta be right sized baby, yeah, right size!

next recession we had:
- fire everybody, outsource everything

which worked only because China became the USA sweat shop.
we created couple hundred thousand Chinese million-/billon- aires.

now the glitch is the outsourcing thing is not working out.
plus China, having thought there was no end to eggs laid by the golden goose....not going too well there comma either.

what's the linking circumstance?

inflation.

costs go up, businesses react. downsize, rightsize, outsource, etc.

so now that business has trimmed all the fat, gotten rid of all those non-productive areas - like R&D - nothing left for the Chinese to copy! -
where does inflation go now?

ps: it goes on the price tag. food included.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
... so now that business has trimmed all the fat, gotten rid of all those non-productive areas - like R&D - nothing left for the Chinese to copy! -
where does inflation go now?

ps: it goes on the price tag. food included.
Dispiriting but true.

We were just watching ABC News which had a story about rising food prices. Yup, they're coming.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'd say I wish I lived in the USA for food prices if it wasn't for your medical costs. As an example, supermarket basics chuck here is about $6.70lb!!! Mind you, here it's more or less the same cut but it's stewed or braised, not roasted. Chicken breasts come as fillets without the bone and are around $6lb. London broil doesn't exist in British butchery (how odd, given the name).

It's hard to compare prices between our country and yours without comparing average salaries in each country. Just like in the US, certain states have a much higher cost of living, but salaries differ, also.

Prices jumped so high in our Aldis I thought I was in Giant Eagle!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
Master Chef

APPLES TRIPLE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS. oops
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Yes, don't get me started on apples. I live in the apple state and our price at the grocery store is sky high! Burns me up too that often what we get is the ones from cold storage. $1.49lb on sale! Some fancy apples are nearly $3.00lb. Outrageous! What do you all pay for apples?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

$1.59 lb at the local store, about the same at walmart. I love it when I can get Granny Smith's for 0.99 lb.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't know what regular apples cost because they are high on "The Dirty Dozen" list for pesticide residue. Organic apples usually run about $3-4/lb. I bought apples a lot this summer when I could get Quebec grown, organic apples for $1.99-$2.49/lb. They actually had the ones from Quebec for a several weeks. Don't get me started about imported apples. Quebec is apple country too.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Master Chef

Somebunny, I feel your pain. I'm near central California, where we should be getting the freshest bounty of 'America's Salad Bowl' in our grocery stores..... Whole 'nother political topic, I guess. I can get good produce in the local farmer's markets, but 'local' is about an hour's drive away.

Apples run between .99/lb and $1.50 a pound here.