"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #31
Master Chef

Cannot comment on the price of meat or dairy products, because they are double, triple and sometimes quadrupole of the regular stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm not old enough to remember, but I've heard about them ...
GG, you don't have to be that old to "remember" victory gardens thanks to PBS. "The Victory Garden" has been running for 35 years now. I remember watching it back when James Underwood Crockett started it - even had a gardening book from it, an offer from our PBS station back home (WVIZ) when we made a donation.

My main grocery store almost always has a regular price of 99 cents/pound for apples, unless they are a newer variety like Jazz or Honey Crisp. I *gasp* rarely worry whether something is a "safe" food or not. I guess all these years haven't taken much of a toll since I'm too old now to die young and I seem to have far fewer medical conditions (knock on wood) compared to my contemporaries or even younger. Luck and good genes, I guess. I've noticed, in general, that most prices around here are less expensive than I would pay for the identical item back in OH. It's one thing I actually will miss when we finally move back...

Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Cannot comment on the price of meat or dairy products, because they are double, triple and sometimes quadrupole of the regular stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
The regular stuff?
The regular meat and dairy products

Ahh yes, the victory gardens.
We would collect the rain water in wooden barrels and carfully carry the precious water down the block in out raincoats to irrigate our meager plot. Metal was too precious for the war effort to have garden sprinklers. Those were long ago donated to the war effort to make jacketed bullets and canteens.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm wondering why, as the example with the chuck and ground beef, meat with bones costs as much /unit weight as similar meat without bones.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
The regular stuff?...

Not Kosher
Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not Kosher
Duh. I forgot Charlie was Jewish. Thanks
I can't imagine what Kosher products cost. That adds a whole new level.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm not old enough to remember, but I've heard about them A lot of places have community gardens now, although I'm sure zoning requirements have changed since WWII. They would need a source of water, too. I wonder how Victory Gardens were watered?
Of course, fewer women were working outside the home, then, too, so many would have had more time than modern women to work on something like that.

We have our own backyard garden.
Those great big galvanized watering cans. You saved all your water in a large rain barrel and dipped the watering can into it. It was really heavy when you had to lift it out and carry to the garden. We had one when we had the farm and even after when we moved to the city. We had several neighbors who didn't have gardens, saving their rain water for us. On the farm, we also had a spigot on the outside of the barn. We ran a hose to the pig pen and chicken coop for their water.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For those of you old enough, do you remember the Victory Gardens every where you looked during WWII? Maybe it is time we started to go back to that practice. Every empty lot or space had veggies growing due to the severe rationing. The extra exercise certainly wouldn't hurt a lot of us.
Yes, I do remember them---- we had one in our back yard at one point.

Nowadays there are Community Gardens but with the changing times they are more prone to vandalism and theft. And liability is something to navigate through. Plus the drop out rate for those who 'think' it's a good idea but find out it means a lot of work.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

Yes, I do remember them---- we had one in our back yard at one point.

Nowadays there are Community Gardens but with the changing times they are more prone to vandalism and theft. And liability is something to navigate through. Plus the drop out rate for those who 'think' it's a good idea but find out it means a lot of work.
FrankZ and Kathleen have a community garden plot, and get some nice produce from it. We have an apple tree that's quite prolific and organic, have no idea what kind. The apples are great keepers, we were eating them well into February, then I made apple butter from the rest. We grow tomatoes, peppers, cukes and blueberries too.

Mexico is experiencing a lime shortage right now, prices have skyrocketed there, and there have been thefts of whole truckloads of limes.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ze-supply.html
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Duh. I forgot Charlie was Jewish. Thanks
I can't imagine what Kosher products cost. That adds a whole new level.
Here, for example, we pay $8.40 per gallon of milk. Of course it is our choice. Though in NY or other big cities it is cheaper. Probably around $4 something