Rising food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHOA!! That's expensive. Roll Bones----- do you not have an Asian grocery in your area?

Not close by, but there are several Asian stores in Greenville. About 30 minutes away.
In fact there is an Asian community there. I pass by there on occasion. Next time I will stop.

I think the chiles will overwhelm any flavor the oil might have, so I would use an inexpensive one.

I am thinking the same thing. The peanut oil is traditional for Asian, but since what I am buying has no taste, I might just be wasting money.

Yes, totally forgot about coconut oil! Big and cheap at Costco.

Cheap?
It seems coconut oil is more expensive than EVOO at Costco?
Does it taste like coconut? Would it be good for chili oil?

Cheap?
It seems coconut oil is more expensive than EVOO at Costco?
Does it taste like coconut? Would it be good for chili oil?

It has a faint coconut smell, but doesn't really taste like coconut. It's quite popular now for many different uses. It starts out solid, so it would need to be heated, and would go back into solid form when it cools down, so it might not work for chili oil.

It has a faint coconut smell, but doesn't really taste like coconut. It's quite popular now for many different uses. It starts out solid, so it would need to be heated, and would go back into solid form when it cools down, so it might not work for chili oil.

I like the least processed as it does have a faint coconut flavor, I use it in my cooked cereal. But yes, it will solidify at room temp, I've used it in cooking and any leftovers that I put away, the oil has solidified by the time I cover and refrigerate.

I have a new favoritel, Avocado Oil, I get it at Costco.

Last edited:
I like the least processed as it does have a faint coconut flavor, I use it in my cooked cereal. But yes, it will solidify at room temp, I've used it in cooking and any leftovers that I put away, the oil has solidified by the time I cover and refrigerate.

I have a new favoritel, Avocado Oil, I get it at Costco.

Does it taste like avocado? Might have to try it. Is it liquid?

While we were talking milk just went up .50 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Glad I don't live in Japan. For a country that has some of the oldest people
I guess they don't eat a lot of fruit.

"A pair of mangoes grown in southern Japan sold Thursday for a whopping 300,000 yen ($3,000), a record price for the fruit's first auction of the season, Kyodo News reported.
The "Taiyo no Tamago" (Egg of the Sun)-brand mangoes were set to be airlifted from Miyazaki in the far south of the country to a department store in Fukuoka, where they were to go on sale, the agency said.
To qualify as a "Taiyo no Tamago" mango, each fruit must weigh at least 350 grammes (12 oz) and have a high sugar content, according to the Miyazaki Agricultural Economic Federation.
Fruit is routinely expensive in Japan and it is not unusual for a single apple to cost upwards of $3, while a presentation pack of 20 cherries can set you back $100.
However, all pale in comparison with the eye-watering $25,000 price tag for a pair of cantaloupe melons auctioned in 2008."

Back
Top Bottom