Rising food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what regular apples cost because they are high on "The Dirty Dozen" list for pesticide residue. Organic apples usually run about $3-4/lb. I bought apples a lot this summer when I could get Quebec grown, organic apples for $1.99-$2.49/lb. They actually had the ones from Quebec for a several weeks. Don't get me started about imported apples. Quebec is apple country too.

:ohmy: Oh, my goodness! :(

basic apples about $1.50 per pound if buying individually, can sometimes get a break if you buy the 3 pound bags. More popular, sweeter apples, $2+ per pound.

When Honeycrisp came last fall, they were $2.99 per pound. I was able to go to the local Farmer's Market last fall and score really good apples for 99 cents a pound. Most vendors were $1.29, but these were being sold by the orchard owners, any variety for 99 cents.

:ohmy: I'd say I wish I lived in the USA for food prices if it wasn't for your medical costs.
London broil doesn't exist in British butchery (how odd, given the name).

Murica could take a few lessons from you guys when it come to healthcare.

I heard a bit on the radio this morning about rising cost of pork... If I recall, 6% of the hogs (or was it hog farms) in the US have been hit by a virus, a lower percent in Canada. This means pork prices will be higher in the months to come.

I am hearing that hog farms in NC are losing up to 1/3rd of the stock to this virus. Thats a lot of hogs.

Our Aldis has any type apple for $2.99 for a 3# bag. The regular grocery store is much higher. I buy most of my produce at Aldis.

My kids do not like Granny Smith. Its either pink lady, or some other apples that taste good in the winter, and winter we have here. Can't blame them. $3.00 - 3.50. On a good day. During the season Cortland is cheaper. But how long is that season? Not long enough and I have no place to store it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yes, don't get me started on apples. I live in the apple state and our price at the grocery store is sky high! Burns me up too that often what we get is the ones from cold storage. $1.49lb on sale! Some fancy apples are nearly $3.00lb. Outrageous! What do you all pay for apples?

SB, I realize you live on the western side of the big hills, but do you ever cross them to go apple picking? I used to love going over there. One minute you are in the middle of the desert and the next in the middle of apple orchards that stretched for miles. :angel:

For those of you old enough, do you remember the Victory Gardens every where you looked during WWII? Maybe it is time we started to go back to that practice. Every empty lot or space had veggies growing due to the severe rationing. The extra exercise certainly wouldn't hurt a lot of us. :angel:

I'm not old enough to remember, but I've heard about them ;) A lot of places have community gardens now, although I'm sure zoning requirements have changed since WWII. They would need a source of water, too. I wonder how Victory Gardens were watered?

Of course, fewer women were working outside the home, then, too, so many would have had more time than modern women to work on something like that.

We have our own backyard garden.

Last edited:
I can't touch beef for anything less than $3.50 per lb. around here, and that's for the cheapest cuts, and ground beef. Most of the beef is $4 per pound and over. A decent steak is a minimum of $9 per pound.

That's what I get for living in Sault Ste. Siberia, beautiful country, low wages, and high prices. Sign me up for more:LOL:.

Oh, and just for the record, it was -5 F. at my house this morning, near the end of February. It should be in the high twenties, and mid thirties by now. Global warming? I don't think so. I believe we have just entered the next ice age.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Cannot comment on the price of meat or dairy products, because they are double, triple and sometimes quadrupole of the regular stuff.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I've heard about them ;)...
GG, you don't have to be that old to "remember" victory gardens thanks to PBS. "The Victory Garden" has been running for 35 years now. I remember watching it back when James Underwood Crockett started it - even had a gardening book from it, an offer from our PBS station back home (WVIZ) when we made a donation.

My main grocery store almost always has a regular price of 99 cents/pound for apples, unless they are a newer variety like Jazz or Honey Crisp. I *gasp* rarely worry whether something is a "safe" food or not. I guess all these years haven't taken much of a toll since I'm too old now to die young and I seem to have far fewer medical conditions (knock on wood) compared to my contemporaries or even younger. Luck and good genes, I guess. I've noticed, in general, that most prices around here are less expensive than I would pay for the identical item back in OH. It's one thing I actually will miss when we finally move back...

Cannot comment on the price of meat or dairy products, because they are double, triple and sometimes quadrupole of the regular stuff.

The regular stuff?
The regular meat and dairy products :huh:

Ahh yes, the victory gardens.
We would collect the rain water in wooden barrels and carfully carry the precious water down the block in out raincoats to irrigate our meager plot. Metal was too precious for the war effort to have garden sprinklers. Those were long ago donated to the war effort to make jacketed bullets and canteens.
:)

I'm wondering why, as the example with the chuck and ground beef, meat with bones costs as much /unit weight as similar meat without bones.

I'm not old enough to remember, but I've heard about them ;) A lot of places have community gardens now, although I'm sure zoning requirements have changed since WWII. They would need a source of water, too. I wonder how Victory Gardens were watered?
Of course, fewer women were working outside the home, then, too, so many would have had more time than modern women to work on something like that.

We have our own backyard garden.

Those great big galvanized watering cans. You saved all your water in a large rain barrel and dipped the watering can into it. It was really heavy when you had to lift it out and carry to the garden. We had one when we had the farm and even after when we moved to the city. We had several neighbors who didn't have gardens, saving their rain water for us. On the farm, we also had a spigot on the outside of the barn. We ran a hose to the pig pen and chicken coop for their water. :angel:

For those of you old enough, do you remember the Victory Gardens every where you looked during WWII? Maybe it is time we started to go back to that practice. Every empty lot or space had veggies growing due to the severe rationing. The extra exercise certainly wouldn't hurt a lot of us. :angel:

Yes, I do remember them---- we had one in our back yard at one point.

Nowadays there are Community Gardens but with the changing times they are more prone to vandalism and theft. And liability is something to navigate through. Plus the drop out rate for those who 'think' it's a good idea but find out it means a lot of work. :(

Yes, I do remember them---- we had one in our back yard at one point.

Nowadays there are Community Gardens but with the changing times they are more prone to vandalism and theft. And liability is something to navigate through. Plus the drop out rate for those who 'think' it's a good idea but find out it means a lot of work. :(

FrankZ and Kathleen have a community garden plot, and get some nice produce from it. We have an apple tree that's quite prolific and organic, have no idea what kind. The apples are great keepers, we were eating them well into February, then I made apple butter from the rest. We grow tomatoes, peppers, cukes and blueberries too.

Mexico is experiencing a lime shortage right now, prices have skyrocketed there, and there have been thefts of whole truckloads of limes.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...d-as-mexican-lime-growers-squeeze-supply.html

Last edited:
Duh. I forgot Charlie was Jewish. Thanks :)
I can't imagine what Kosher products cost. That adds a whole new level.

Here, for example, we pay $8.40 per gallon of milk. Of course it is our choice. Though in NY or other big cities it is cheaper. Probably around $4 something

Back
Top Bottom