"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Butternut squash is amazing in a risotto. I made mine by roasting the squash first and then adding it to the rice at the end. Also a simple summer vegetable risotto is lovely with some mint. Could also add some smoked haddock.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My first risotto was just a short while back and posted in the risotto thread. I thought it was pretty easy, but I've got nothing to compare with as I've never eaten it before. It seemed creamy to me.
pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just use a dry white wine for most of my cooking. Since I can't drink the stuff for health reasons and used to love a nice glass of white with dinner, I don't buy anything too fancy...too heart-breaking! And you only need a splash.

By the way, Risotto is one of my all time favourite ways to have rice so I could go on for hours!

lp, do you have an all time favorite risotto recipe you'd like to share? i like the fact that you are such a big risotto fan. you probably know the best combinations, what works the best, etc.....
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?
I'll go look. I'm sure it's still in my subscriptions. I think NAChef posted it...
I'll be back.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Cook-Together Risotto
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:

very good risotto thread. i will spend some time there before making my dish. your risotto looks great, pac! you said you like the college inn chicken broth. just in case it makes a difference, i'll get some of it. other nice risottos in that thread, too. looked like fun.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
very good risotto thread. i will spend some time there before making my dish. your risotto looks great, pac! you said you like the college inn chicken broth. just in case it makes a difference, i'll get some of it. other nice risottos in that thread, too. looked like fun.
College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you.
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I like ..:: Kitchen Basics - Home ::.. for stock because they make unsalted versions

And mushroom or squash risotto are both wonderful
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you.
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now
pac, do you have a background in teaching? you would make a great teacher! you have the ability to break down a process that is complex, and break it down into small, easy to understand and follow parts. i can actually visualize making a risotto, step by step, thanks to your sterling descriptions--you've taken much of the mystery out of the procedure, replacing it with basic, easy to digest mechanics. just what i needed....
Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
Master Chef

This was the first time I made risotto and except for a bit too much saffron it was wonderful. I added sautéed mushrooms at the end with the cheese. I cheated big time and cooked it in a pressure cooker. YUP 7 minutes in the pressure cooker and it was perfect.

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

Tags
rice