"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 277
Butternut squash is amazing in a risotto. I made mine by roasting the squash first and then adding it to the rice at the end. Also a simple summer vegetable risotto is lovely with some mint. Could also add some smoked haddock.
__________________

__________________
Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My first risotto was just a short while back and posted in the risotto thread. I thought it was pretty easy, but I've got nothing to compare with as I've never eaten it before. It seemed creamy to me.
pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just use a dry white wine for most of my cooking. Since I can't drink the stuff for health reasons and used to love a nice glass of white with dinner, I don't buy anything too fancy...too heart-breaking! And you only need a splash.

By the way, Risotto is one of my all time favourite ways to have rice so I could go on for hours!

lp, do you have an all time favorite risotto recipe you'd like to share? i like the fact that you are such a big risotto fan. you probably know the best combinations, what works the best, etc.....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?
I'll go look. I'm sure it's still in my subscriptions. I think NAChef posted it...
I'll be back.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Cook-Together Risotto
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post


very good risotto thread. i will spend some time there before making my dish. your risotto looks great, pac! you said you like the college inn chicken broth. just in case it makes a difference, i'll get some of it. other nice risottos in that thread, too. looked like fun.
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
very good risotto thread. i will spend some time there before making my dish. your risotto looks great, pac! you said you like the college inn chicken broth. just in case it makes a difference, i'll get some of it. other nice risottos in that thread, too. looked like fun.
College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you.
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #28
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 440
I like ..:: Kitchen Basics - Home ::.. for stock because they make unsalted versions

And mushroom or squash risotto are both wonderful
__________________
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you.
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now
pac, do you have a background in teaching? you would make a great teacher! you have the ability to break down a process that is complex, and break it down into small, easy to understand and follow parts. i can actually visualize making a risotto, step by step, thanks to your sterling descriptions--you've taken much of the mystery out of the procedure, replacing it with basic, easy to digest mechanics. just what i needed....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
This was the first time I made risotto and except for a bit too much saffron it was wonderful. I added sautéed mushrooms at the end with the cheese. I cheated big time and cooked it in a pressure cooker. YUP 7 minutes in the pressure cooker and it was perfect.

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rice


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.