Risotto--to buy acquarello rice? (Y,N)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
four weeks ago to the day, i had a risotto disaster in my kitchen. i am back today to try again, hopefully with your help, to get it right this time. i'm ready with my prep work, excepting for the measuring and soaking? of my saffron threads (red, greek). just how does one measure those tiny little threads? anyone who tells me i need 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon saffron, hasn't seen my saffron that i'm expected to measure. do i crush the threads into a powder, or count them? "a pinch" of saffron doesn't help me either. i have these saffron packets that contain .007oz, or 0.2g each. i almost went with using one whole packet, but decided against it because i don't want to overdo a spice that has such a strong medicinal smell to it--i have a small amount sitting in some white wine since yesterday. another thing with using this "authentic" saffron, i read (in my saffron google travels) that saffron should not be cooked, but added in at the end. i read also that saffron needs to be soaked from 2 to 20 hours before using. all of this information has me confused. can someone please tell me what you know from experience about saffron measuring and use? i promise i won't hold anybody accountable for any mistakes i make with this risotto dish--please, i need some closure here.... :)

Risotto disaster? I must have missed that thread.

yeah, well, it's still running these tortuous loops in my head--and still a sore spot, though i learned some valuable lessons. there are mistakes i won't repeat, but then i'm so adept at finding new ways to screw up. ergo, my tendency toward excessive and obsessive plannings of things....:ermm:

I hate when bad experiences keep playing themselves out in your head.
I hope your next time produces a better experience. I'm sure it will.

thanks, pac, for the vote of confidence.

it is said there are two types of people in the world, the ones that say "this glass is half full" and the ones who say "this glass is half empty." however, the world belongs to the ones who say "what's up with this glass? excuse me, excuse me, this is my glass? i don't think so, my glass was full, and it was much bigger." :)

yeah, well, it's still running these tortuous loops in my head--and still a sore spot, though i learned some valuable lessons. there are mistakes i won't repeat, but then i'm so adept at finding new ways to screw up. ergo, my tendency toward excessive and obsessive plannings of things....:ermm:

I can understand you, vitauta!

My biggest shame is that I cannot prepare a perfect spaghetti alla carbonara recipe.
And IT IS A SHAME, considering I'm a bl**dy Italian, and my uncle can do it, and my friend Giulio can do it, and I hate them.
But I simply cannot prepare it good enough for me. Good enough for me means that when I eat it, I have to cry and sing and be happy.

But I'm trying hard, I'll never give up!!! Now you have to prepare a perfect saffron risotto! :)

thanks, pac, for the vote of confidence.

it is said there are two types of people in the world, the ones that say "this glass is half full" and the ones who say "this glass is half empty." however, the world belongs to the ones who say "what's up with this glass? excuse me, excuse me, this is my glass? i don't think so, my glass was full, and it was much bigger." :)

And then there are people like me, who drink right from the bottle.
;)

I can understand you, vitauta!

My biggest shame is that I cannot prepare a perfect spaghetti alla carbonara recipe.
And IT IS A SHAME, considering I'm a bl**dy Italian, and my uncle can do it, and my friend Giulio can do it, and I hate them.
But I simply cannot prepare it good enough for me. Good enough for me means that when I eat it, I have to cry and sing and be happy.

But I'm trying hard, I'll never give up!!! Now you have to prepare a perfect saffron risotto! :)

okAY, i'm ready to go, luca! i want to cry and sing and be happy about my mushroom/saffron risotto! your vibes are so energizing! the pics of your own risotto preparations are exquisite, luca....:chef:

BTW I have a set of measureing spoons that include pinch, dash and smidgen measures.

i am making risotto for the first time. i've had risotto in restaurants twice only. both times it was dreamy. i approach this new dish with more than a little trepidation, as risotto is well known for being tricky to get right. (i watch hell's kitchen so i know):)how much better are my chances for a creamy to-die-for risotto if i use this special risotto rice? does anybody here have experience cooking with acquarello rice as compared to regular short grained rice making risotto? i know i could always do the virgin run with plain rice, but i want the results of this effort to be something really special....

Acquarello is a brand of Arborio rice. Carnaroli and Vialone Nano are varieties of Arborio Rice.

FWIW, you will not achieve the creamy texture for your risotto if you use regular short grain rice. You need the Arborio.

Acquarello is a brand of Arborio rice. Carnaroli and Vialone Nano are varieties of Arborio Rice.

FWIW, you will not achieve the creamy texture for your risotto if you use regular short grain rice. You need the Arborio.

:smartass: Warning: know-it-all note :smartass:

Actually, Vialone Nano has been created from the Nano and the Vialone varieties, Carnaroli from Vialone and Leoncino varieties, Arborio from Vialone and Lady Wright.

:smartass: End of know-it-all note :smartass:

;)

And here you can see the endless ricefields around my hometown, the heartland of rice production in Europe!

40791-albums384-picture3010.jpg

beautiful expanse of verdant and azure rice fields, luca....

thank you everybody for all your help and support every step of the way on this often rut-filled risotto road i've been traveling. today i made a truly enviable and glorious risotto!--far superior to any i've tasted before! right now though, i feel like a fat, overfed slug, laid heavy from a food-induced stupor....

beautiful expanse of verdant and azure rice fields, luca....

thank you everybody for all your help and support every step of the way on this often rut-filled risotto road i've been traveling. today i made a truly enviable and glorious risotto!--far superior to any i've tasted before! right now though, i feel like a fat, overfed slug, laid heavy from a food-induced stupor....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Back
Top Bottom