Risotto--to buy acquarello rice? (Y,N)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butternut squash is amazing in a risotto. I made mine by roasting the squash first and then adding it to the rice at the end. Also a simple summer vegetable risotto is lovely with some mint. Could also add some smoked haddock.

My first risotto was just a short while back and posted in the risotto thread. I thought it was pretty easy, but I've got nothing to compare with as I've never eaten it before. It seemed creamy to me.

pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?

I just use a dry white wine for most of my cooking. Since I can't drink the stuff for health reasons and used to love a nice glass of white with dinner, I don't buy anything too fancy...too heart-breaking!;) And you only need a splash.

By the way, Risotto is one of my all time favourite ways to have rice so I could go on for hours!

lp, do you have an all time favorite risotto recipe you'd like to share? i like the fact that you are such a big risotto fan. you probably know the best combinations, what works the best, etc.....:)

pac, how about pointing me to the risotto thread to which you refer. i did a search before starting this one and could find nothing. i just went back for another look, back to early 2010, saw two that contained a total of some seven posts, none yours. do you remember the name of the thread?

I'll go look. I'm sure it's still in my subscriptions. I think NAChef posted it...
I'll be back.

very good risotto thread. i will spend some time there before making my dish. your risotto looks great, pac! you said you like the college inn chicken broth. just in case it makes a difference, i'll get some of it. other nice risottos in that thread, too. looked like fun.:)

College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you. :)
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now :LOL:

College Inn Bold it's called. Make sure you get the Bold. And it comes in a smallish bottle, 17 oz or something. Just right if you cook for one because it's easy to use up in a few weeks. Opening up a bottle of the Rotisserie Chicken is like you are smelling someone taking a chicken out of the oven.

And thank you. :)
I thought I had posted the recipe and my changes, but I guess not. The gist of the method I used was, you only need to contantly stir it in the beginning, when you are turning your rice golden in the butter and listening for the sizzle. Then again when you add the first liquid, which in my case was the liquid from reconstituting the porcini and some vermouth. This is basically to get it cooking evenly in your pan. Then start in with your broth, just enough to cover the rice, stir, let absorb. I think I did that three times. Have more broth heated up than you think you will need or you'll be SOL and scrambling for some hot liquid to add if you run out.
You are looking for a slight bite to the rice and a creaminess when you make a swirl in the pan. At least how I understood things. Then mix in some butter and parm when it's done.

The other night when I made shrimp risotto for dinner I added shallots and garlic to the butter, cooked my shrimp, removed, added a little more butter and started the rice from there, adding the shrimp back in at the end.

Dang, I've got myself wanting to make risotto now :LOL:
pac, do you have a background in teaching? you would make a great teacher! you have the ability to break down a process that is complex, and break it down into small, easy to understand and follow parts. i can actually visualize making a risotto, step by step, thanks to your sterling descriptions--you've taken much of the mystery out of the procedure, replacing it with basic, easy to digest mechanics. just what i needed....:chef:

This was the first time I made risotto and except for a bit too much saffron it was wonderful. I added sautéed mushrooms at the end with the cheese. I cheated big time and cooked it in a pressure cooker. YUP 7 minutes in the pressure cooker and it was perfect.

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

img_1044495_0_a26ea2c31785a89de0032b159cf2ff90.jpg

This was the first time I made risotto and except for a bit too much saffron it was wonderful. I added sautéed mushrooms at the end with the cheese. I cheated big time and cooked it in a pressure cooker. YUP 7 minutes in the pressure cooker and it was perfect.

Saffron Mushroom Risotto

img_1044497_0_a26ea2c31785a89de0032b159cf2ff90.jpg

you did WHAT?!! please explain that, msmo. what happened to stirring? and stirring...and stirring...and stirring....???

pac, do you have a background in teaching? you would make a great teacher! you have the ability to break down a process that is complex, and break it down into small, easy to understand and follow parts. i can actually visualize making a risotto, step by step, thanks to your sterling descriptions--you've taken much of the mystery out of the procedure, replacing it with basic, easy to digest mechanics. just what i needed....:chef:

Wow, thanks. That's probably the best compliment I ever got :)
I used to be a shop foreman in a sheet metal shop, so had to bring a few apprentices up through the ranks. And I used to be the head instructor and Safety & Training Advisor at a small drop zone (skydiving), so you know... you don't listen, you bounce :LOL:

Thanks again, Vit.

Pressure cooker risotto is just too awesome, MsM. Nice.

Last edited:
you did WHAT?!! please explain that, msmo. what happened to stirring? and stirring...and stirring...and stirring....???

Saffron Mushroom Risotto
(Pressure-Cooker Method)
1 TBSP. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
1 cup arborio rice
2 cups chicken stock
¼ cup vermouth or dry white wine
1/8 tsp. crushed saffron
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
½ tsp. salt
Sliced mushroom caps sautéed in butter
1 TBSP. butter
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over high heat.

Add the onion and cook until t soft about 2 minutes.

Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds
until the outer edges turn translucent.

Add the stock, wine, and saffron.

Cover and bring to high pressure over high heat.

Reduce heat to stabilize pressure. Cook 7 minutes.

Quick-release pressure and remove cover.

Stir in pepper, salt, butter, sautéed mushrooms and Parmesan.

Let sit for 2 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 Servings

Last edited:
wow. why isn't everybody making risotto this way? well, i'm not because i no longer have a pressure cooker. but if i see one of the old fashioned kind on the market i might just get back with it. your risotto is beautiful, msmo--silky and golden. i'm looking forward to making one of my own. i like your recipe which combines the saffron with the mushrooms in one recipe. :)

wow. why isn't everybody making risotto this way? well, i'm not because i no longer have a pressure cooker. but if i see one of the old fashioned kind on the market i might just get back with it. your risotto is beautiful, msmo--silky and golden. i'm looking forward to making one of my own. i like your recipe which combines the saffron with the mushrooms in one recipe. :)
Thank you V

i've had and liked kitchen basics, but the quart size is more than i can easily use.:(

You can easily freeze any leftovers from an open quart. I do it all the time. I freeze it in half-cup containers as I find that more useful to me than ice cube trays.

Back
Top Bottom