Roast beef without garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aldei

Assistant Cook
I want to roast a good quality piece of beef (probably scotch fillet) for friends that do not eat garlic. Any ideas on what I could marinate it in?

If it's a good quality piece of beef, why would you marinate it? I'm not familiar with Scotch filet, does it go by another name?

danpeikes and Dave have the right idea. A pepper crust or other type of a rub would be more than enough. I really enjoy breaking out various spices/dried herbs from the spice cabinet and mixing and matching a blend to put on a nice roast.

A very tasty blend is chinese 5 spice. No garlic and has a nice fall feel to the flavors.

Scotch fillet = ribeye roast.

A good cut of meat that needs little or no help. Salt and pepper the exterior and roast.

A nice spice rub is the way to go for a rib roast.

heavy on the black pepper
rosemary is great
onion powder/salt/granulated, whatever you have
thyme
paprika

I like to use two store bought blends and mix them 50/50 for a rib roast rub.McCormicks Montreal Steak and Montreal Chicken.

Pappy's is another blend that makes a good rub for that.

I don't have a good suggestion on the beef. I can only mention what I do. If I know guests have an aversion to a certain food item I find a tasty recipe that does not include that item. I rarely have good luck altering a recipe that I've developed to be a favorite. Since my own husband won't eat onions, many of my recipes are heavy into garlic. I would be at sea looking for a roast beef recipe with no garlic.

I don't have a good suggestion on the beef. I can only mention what I do. If I know guests have an aversion to a certain food item I find a tasty recipe that does not include that item. I rarely have good luck altering a recipe that I've developed to be a favorite. Since my own husband won't eat onions, many of my recipes are heavy into garlic. I would be at sea looking for a roast beef recipe with no garlic.

I could get by without garlic for one meal, but to have to cook without onions forever would be just too much. You have my sympathy Oldvine, and welcome to DC........we're happy to have you join us.

...Since my own husband won't eat onions, many of my recipes are heavy into garlic. I would be at sea looking for a roast beef recipe with no garlic.

WOW! If Shrek hadn't liked onions, he wouldn't have become Mr. PrincessFiona, no matter how sparkly and blue his eyes were.;)

thanks heaps guys for your responses. must admit I find it hard to cook without garlic as it enhances the flavour so well. might try some extra herbs with my usual marinade. I usually marinate overnight in 1/2 cup red wine, seeded mustard, garlic & fresh thyme & it comes out brilliantly.

herbs of province is all you need--check "Jacques pepin celebrates" (I think )---checked it Page 195 TNT Ps if you get have a roast in the suggested size you won't trust taking it out of the oven at 87 F internal -it really does go on to 125 F on it's own. Just did one last week ,I'd suggest Waldorf -celeriac salad with that -Gage
I'd never marinate a rib roast

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom