Roast Chicken X 2 -Too Many Flavors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
I made Tyler Florence's (Food Network) "Roast Chicken Times Two" recipe last night and is it just me or are there too many flavors going on? I stuffed this organic chicken bigtime with 1/2 red onion, 1/2 fresh lemon, 3 fresh garlic cloves, 2 big fresh bay leaves, a bunch of fresh thyme, and salt/pepper (all coated in olive oil). I scattered a lb of cremini mushrooms around it with more fresh thyme, olive oil, salt, and pepper. All this was according to recipe.

I baked it at 400 for 1 1/2 hours (i know, i thought it should be 350 too but it worked...Ina Garten says 425 even). Everyone said it was delicious but I felt it was too flavorful. I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

Also of note: The recipe said the thermometer reading for this chicken should read 165 but my thermometer says Poultry-185...so I cooked it longer to 185 and it was perfect. What's up with that?

If you didn't care for the flavor, that's OK. Next time you can cut back. Any and all seasonings are optional and a matter of personal preference. I, for one, never put lemon in a chicken as I don't care for it.

All chicken must be cooked to a minimum temperature of 161 F to be safe. I shoot for 165 F in all parts of the chicken when I cook chickens. Anything beyond that will dry out the white meat. Dark meat can go to a higher temperature without suffering.

I recommend you never go by the doneness temperatures on a thermometer. I think they are way off.

I've found you can get away w/cook'n too long if you brine, don't ask me how I know this.:ermm:

I also shoot for 160-165. I usually pull off the smoker and put in an alum foil pan and tent w/foil. Temp will rise maybe 5* or so.

Did any one flavor stand out too much? Cut back on that one next time. Also, I've found that people have a hard time be'n honest when it comes to food cooked for them. They may have thought the same thing. I ask the wife and kids to tell me the truth or I'll make it again! Then they tell me.:LOL:

Mollyanne,
while I love thyme, I find it tends to take over as head flavor. I've learned to cut back on the amount I use. I also like Andy have stopped using lemon in the chicken. I usually with til it's sliced then a tiny squeeze of lemon over all is enough for me.It brightens up the flavor without becoming bitter.
kades

These are all EXCELLENT comments and sooo helpful...thank you all for taking the thyme (oh that's so old).

I agree with you , kades, and I used tons of thyme too. And, Andy, I think I'll leave the lemon off but I don't think the temp could have been any less at 185 because, even then, it was a teensy tad pinkish at the leg/thigh joint which I dipped in the hot juice and that took care of that.

And, BigAl, you always make me laugh but there's truth to your humor...I think I'll try that line next time, "Tell me the truth or I'll make it again" :-p. But I must say, Uncle Chuck took all the leftovers home with him.

I made Tyler Florence's (Food Network) "Roast Chicken Times Two" recipe last night and is it just me or are there too many flavors going on? I stuffed this organic chicken bigtime with 1/2 red onion, 1/2 fresh lemon, 3 fresh garlic cloves, 2 big fresh bay leaves, a bunch of fresh thyme, and salt/pepper (all coated in olive oil). I scattered a lb of cremini mushrooms around it with more fresh thyme, olive oil, salt, and pepper. All this was according to recipe.

I baked it at 400 for 1 1/2 hours (i know, i thought it should be 350 too but it worked...Ina Garten says 425 even). Everyone said it was delicious but I felt it was too flavorful. I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

Also of note: The recipe said the thermometer reading for this chicken should read 165 but my thermometer says Poultry-185...so I cooked it longer to 185 and it was perfect. What's up with that?

I gotta tell you Maryanne, while I do find TF very sexy I've made a couple of his, what I call not so ultimate recipes... He now owns a gourmet shop in Cali with his publisist wife, and I think thats best, IMHO, I just don't think any recipe of his that I tried is memorable... Sorry...:kiss::kiss:

Back
Top Bottom