"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #21
Head Chef

I actually roast mine with a make-shift barbecue sauce.
I do cube them and microwave them first just to get the process started.
I place them single layered on an aluminum foil lined glass pan/ dish ( whatever its called)
For whatever reason, maybe just the properties of the heating of glass, I seem to get the best crisp-factor this way ( and the aluminum foil makes it an easier clean up and also easier transfer of potatoes to serving dish)
I actually start off at about 425 for 1/2 hour, baste with the barbecue sauce, then another 1/2 hour or so at about 375, baste again, then down to 325 basting a final time sprinkling with garlic and onion powder.

to me, best served after it has cooled a bit ( when its too hot, its hard to appreciate the flavor)

***Above is more about my technique than a recipe itself. Its one of those things that I just throw together, so Id really have to pay attention to myself, next time i make them, to give any accuracy to time, ingredients and measurements***

Old 12-25-2015, 05:42 AM   #22
Head Chef

I peel, quarter or wedge them, steam them in a basket until they just barely start to soften, pick up the steamer basket and dump them on some paper towels just to get surface dampness off, then place on foil lined cookie sheet large enough so they can be spread in a single layer later. S and P and drizzle a good bit of olive oil. Mix so all surfaces are well coated and there should be some excess olive oil on bottom. Spread out in single layer. Bake in 375 oven until crispy and golden, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so. It usually takes 30-45 minutes for them to cook depending on size of cuts and how much moisture was in the potatoes to begin with. Soft and fluffy on the inside and crisp and crunchy on the outside.

Oh, ETA, duck fat definitely will add the taste of duck fat. I recently made a cassoulet using turkey thighs I had confit'd in duck fat plus just the tiniest bit of duck fat I used to start cooking my lardons. You could definitely tell duck fat had been used.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #23
Head Chef

Just to report back on having roasted my potatoes in an equal mixture of olive oil and organic coconut oil....don't bother! It browned them up fine but somehow affected the crunch factor and they were brown but slightly soft, i.e. not crisp. Thus, to my requirements, they were a total fail!!
Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I was thinking of using them both to make roast potatoes (50:50 ratio). Can you say why you wouldn't use coconut oil? The flavour?

For me it's flavor, and also I don't see need for all this new super foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 12-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #25
Master Chef

+1, Charlie. I don't care how "good" the trendy food people say coconut oil is, the fact that it has 11.8 grams of fat per Tbsp is enough to chase me away. Besides, I'd rather flavor things with butter (7.3g sat fat) or, in my case, bacon grease (5g sat fat). The flavor is so much more appealing with, say, potatoes.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #26
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
+1, Charlie. I don't care how "good" the trendy food people say coconut oil is, the fact that it has 11.8 grams of fat per Tbsp is enough to chase me away. Besides, I'd rather flavor things with butter (7.3g sat fat) or, in my case, bacon grease (5g sat fat). The flavor is so much more appealing with, say, potatoes.
Erm... - 1 !

Coconut oil is very far from being an ordinary fat - for one thing (because of its components) it is metabolised differently, hence why you see it in health shops.

10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (No. 3 is Best)

I prefer duck or goose fat with roast potatoes though. Bacon grease or butter works is appetitising though for omelettes I find.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Erm... - 1 !

Coconut oil is very far from being an ordinary fat - for one thing (because of its components) it is metabolised differently, hence why you see it in health shops.

10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (No. 3 is Best)

I prefer duck or goose fat with roast potatoes though. Bacon grease or butter works is appetitising though for omelettes I find.
According to WebMD, coconut oil is not what some claim it to be. Their conclusion: "Enjoy coconut oil if it is your preference but do so in moderation until further research indicates it is better than other saturated fats."

Coconut Oil Uses & Your Health

Here's a comparison of olive oil and coconut oil from the Cleveland Clinic:

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/20...art-healthier/
Old 12-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #28
Head Chef

Tenspeed - whilst I do have reservations about coconut oil, it can easily be dismissed without knowing of its properties. (This is what I was addressing in my last post on it). It would seem that some foods undergo various plus and minuses with current research exclaiming the latest finding so it is prudent to exercise caution.

I am more inclined to use it as a moisturiser or hair conditioner since I find its taste not that pleasant. I didn't get the opportunity to try it out/taste it before I bought some.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It would seem that some foods undergo various plus and minuses with current research exclaiming the latest finding so it is prudent to exercise caution.
In this case, however, the Cleveland Clinic page clearly states that there is extensive research showing the benefits of olive oil and extensive research showing the harm of coconut oil. Some small studies indicate possible benefits compared to other saturated fats, but not compared to unsaturated fats like olive oil.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It would seem that some foods undergo various plus and minuses with current research exclaiming the latest finding so it is prudent to exercise caution.
In this case, however, the Cleveland Clinic page clearly states that there is extensive research showing the benefits of olive oil and extensive research showing the harm of coconut oil. Some small studies indicate possible benefits compared to other saturated fats, but not compared to unsaturated fats like olive oil.

News reports often sound as if every study is equally important, but doctors and scientists make recommendations based on the preponderance of the evidence.

Meanwhile, health food stores often base their recommendations on folklore.

Tags
potato, potatoes, roast