"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #31
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
In this case, however, the Cleveland Clinic page clearly states that there is extensive research showing the benefits of olive oil and extensive research showing the harm of coconut oil. Some small studies indicate possible benefits compared to other saturated fats, but not compared to unsaturated fats like olive oil.

News reports often sound as if every study is equally important, but doctors and scientists make recommendations based on the preponderance of the evidence.

Meanwhile, health food stores often base their recommendations on folklore.
??? Where is this "extensive research showing the harm of coconut oil" in the Cleveland Clinic report? It just says not to overdo the HEALTHY fats i.e. concedes the coconut oil is not one of the typical bad guys foodwise. They obviously know about the MCT factor (mentioned in the link I gave on the last page # 26).

Furthermore, here in UK there are strict regulations re. claims that can be made on products obtained in health food shops, notably they are not allowed to make a medicinal claim. I wouldn't be so quick to diss folklore either since certain info passed down has now been researched and incorporated into the pharmaceutical industry e.g. that willow bark alleviated headaches. Subsequent analysis isolated the salicin in it and we now have aspirin. I wonder how many more findings there could be too with sufficient research into them?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
??? Where is this "extensive research showing the harm of coconut oil" in the Cleveland Clinic report? It just says not to overdo the HEALTHY fats i.e. concedes the coconut oil is not one of the typical bad guys foodwise. They obviously know about the MCT factor (mentioned in the link I gave on the last page # 26).

Furthermore, here in UK there are strict regulations re. claims that can be made on products obtained in health food shops, notably they are not allowed to make a medicinal claim. I wouldn't be so quick to diss folklore either since certain info passed down has now been researched and incorporated into the pharmaceutical industry e.g. that willow bark alleviated headaches. Subsequent analysis isolated the salicin in it and we now have aspirin. I wonder how many more findings there could be too with sufficient research into them?
Read the part under "Olive Oil Wins!"

Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #33
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Read the part under "Olive Oil Wins."
I did...it is phrased with caution, i.e. is not conclusive. Jury is still out it would seem!

For what it's worth, olive oil is a no brainer in terms of being obviously healthier.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I did...it is phrased with caution, i.e. is not conclusive. Jury is still out it would seem!

For what it's worth, olive oil is a no brainer in terms of being obviously healthier.
We must not be reading the same thing.

"Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, shown through extensive research to harm heart health."

Sounds quite conclusive to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olive-oil-wins.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24073  
Old 12-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
+1, Charlie. I don't care how "good" the trendy food people say coconut oil is...
Quote:
...Coconut oil is very far from being an ordinary fat - for one thing (because of its components) it is metabolised differently, hence why you see it in health shops.

10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (No. 3 is Best)...
Can we then agree on the fact that the flavor of a coconut oil does not lend itself well towards a savory dish? Since I bake infrequently, and I know our taste buds would not appreciate any faint flavor of coconut in our potatoes or Brussels sprouts, I would not reach for the tub of coconut oil in my pantry instead of using the butter or bacon fat in my fridge, or a cooking oil from my pantry. Nutrition in food is very important, but if a dish does not taste right it's not worth eating, IMO.

I did read the article that you linked to above. It does present some interesting points. But at the moment, coconut oil seems to be enjoying a lot of press. Until research is more extensive using larger test groups, I personally feel more comfortable cooking in the style which I currently use: less fat, smaller amounts of meat, more fish, mostly whole grains, and lots and lots of veggies and fruit. And, always, the less processed and refined the better. You may feel differently, and that is your choice.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #36
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
We must not be reading the same thing.

"Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, shown through extensive research to harm heart health."

Sounds quite conclusive to me.
Please note: What's missing here is the fact that coconut oil does not behave in the body like normal saturated fact because of the MCT properties. It is metabolised DIFFERENTLY. The comment was made as if coconut oil is a typical saturated fat which, of course, it is not!!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #37
Head Chef

Cooking Goddess - yes I agree with the points you make.

(To explain - I am far from rooting for coconut oil but also I, and many others, realise that it is very far from being a typical saturated fat).

I also agree that it is getting a lot of press and I am not totally won over by this.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Please note: What's missing here is the fact that coconut oil does not behave in the body like normal saturated fact because of the MCT properties. It is metabolised DIFFERENTLY. The comment was made as if coconut oil is a typical saturated fat which, of course, it is not!!
There is no evidence of that. From
http://blog.armyhealth.pbrc.edu/post/The-Truth-about-Coconut-Oil

Quote:
Many of the positive health claims about coconut oil are likely based on MCT oils in the purest form, which can only be manufactured. It is true that MCT can be distilled from coconut oil, but this is not the same thing you will see on the shelves in the grocery store.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #39
Head Chef

Red face

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/ (from an authentic source of info)

"Coconut oil in nature contains all four MCTs. In addition, it contains a small percentage of longer chain fatty acids."

With apologies to otuatail - who started this thread - for my part in it going off topic.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Coconut oil has too much hype and controversy surrounding it. So I will stick with what I know and like. Olive oil and butter. Both for the flavor and health benefits.

Tags
potato, potatoes, roast