Roast potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coconut oil has too much hype and controversy surrounding it. So I will stick with what I know and like. Olive oil and butter. Both for the flavor and health benefits. :angel:
Yes I do tend to agree with this.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/ (from an authentic source of info)

"Coconut oil in nature contains all four MCTs. In addition, it contains a small percentage of longer chain fatty acids."

With apologies to otuatail - who started this thread - for my part in it going off topic.

MCTs are to coconut oil as salicylic acid is to willow bark. One is isolated, purified and standardized; the other is not.

Can we then agree on the fact that the flavor of a coconut oil does not lend itself well towards a savory dish? Since I bake infrequently, and I know our taste buds would not appreciate any faint flavor of coconut in our potatoes or Brussels sprouts, I would not reach for the tub of coconut oil in my pantry instead of using the butter or bacon fat in my fridge, or a cooking oil from my pantry. Nutrition in food is very important, but if a dish does not taste right it's not worth eating, IMO.

I did read the article that you linked to above. It does present some interesting points. But at the moment, coconut oil seems to be enjoying a lot of press. Until research is more extensive using larger test groups, I personally feel more comfortable cooking in the style which I currently use: less fat, smaller amounts of meat, more fish, mostly whole grains, and lots and lots of veggies and fruit. And, always, the less processed and refined the better. You may feel differently, and that is your choice.
I buy coconut oil by the five gallon pail. It has absolutely no coconut flavor.

Okay folks. We all get the dang message. Some use coconut oil, some don't. 'Nuff said. This thread is about roasted potatoes. If you want to have any further discussion regarding this particular product, may I suggest you start a separate thread under General Cooking Info.

This thread has been hijacked long enough. Let us all get back on subject please. Thank you. :angel:

Okay folks. We all get the dang message. Some use coconut oil, some don't. 'Nuff said. This thread is about roasted potatoes. If you want to have any further discussion regarding this particular product, may I suggest you start a separate thread under General Cooking Info.

This thread has been hijacked long enough. Let us all get back on subject please. Thank you. :angel:

Pot, black, all that good stuff :LOL:

+1, GG :LOL:

otuatail, not sure if you're still here or not, but for a different spin have you ever tried roasted yams? Cut up into wedges, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and roast. Delicious!

Last edited:
i use Russets, a package of Lipton's Onion soup and toss with olive oil. Either slice or chunk and roast in oven at 400 until golden.

OR slice, chunk or wedge sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil, cinnamon and brown sugar and roast in oven at 400 until golden.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom