Roasted Garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AllenMI said:
About once a month, we do an Italian Pasta Bar at the country club I work at. I'm the lucky person that gets to work it. Basically, it's like an omellette bar, just Italian goodies with pasta and sauces that I saute together. There is also an Italian buffet.

About 6 weeks ago, we were doing one of these, when one of the waitstaff came up and told me she had just received a complaint from a lady, that I was using to much garlic, they could smell it, and were allergic to it. The waittress, my chef, and I, all agreed, that there really wasn't much we could do, as this was an ITALIAN buffet, and EVERYTHING has garlic in it.

I'll do you one better. My older brother used to manage a movie theater. A patron complained that the lobby smelled like popcorn and "What are you going to do about it?"

Ekim said:
I'll do you one better. My older brother used to manage a movie theater. A patron complained that the lobby smelled like popcorn and "What are you going to do about it?"
Give her directions to the nearest video store!

:) Barbara

htc said:
Texcin, BEWARE, if you love garlic, you'll become addicted to this and won't be able to tolerate stuff like premade "garlic bread" from grocery stores. :LOL:

That is so true, htc. I love roasted garlic smeared on sourdough bread. Also, mash the roasted garlic and add to softened cream cheese. It makes a great spread for bagels, etc.

I like to add roasted garlic to mashed potatoes. Since it's so soft, it would mix up into a salad dressing really well.

A tip I picked up (I think it was from Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential) is to use at least two ways of garlic preparation in your dish. For example, use roasted garlic and fresh garlic in your Caesar Salad. This will impart a certain 'complexity' and depth to your dish.

Chopstix that is a great tip! another similar tip is to prep your garlic in two different ways. For example mince your garlic, but also use slices.

Now that gives me an idea.... the next time I make spaghetti AOP (aglio olio & peperoncino.... which means garlic, olive oil and red pepper) I will mix in a minced roast garlic along with the garlic fried in oil... mmm, sounds good...:-p

I really subscribe to the "you can never have too much garlic theory" :mrgreen:

I like to spred a roasted glove on thick slabs of bread all on it's own, making it into a garlic paste.

Anyone been to The Stinking Rose? It's a restaurant in L.A. that pays homage to garlic. Their tagline goes "We season our garlic with food." Their brochure featured Dracula who found their food irrestible. I was there many years ago and remember liking the food. The setting was medieval and opulent; kind of like how you'd imagine Dracula's lair to be. I remember dark interiors with lots of red velvet drapes, tufted chairs and chandeliers. Each table had a nice little burner for heating the complimentary roasted garlic bulbs in olive oil (before spreading onto bread). It was a fun experience...!

We have a restaurant called "Thats Aroma" here in town that features garlic that way. Some of their stuff was good, but they didn't use the freshest ingredients for some of their dishes and it doesn't matter how much garlic you use if your shrimp is less than fresh. BLECH! The garlic ice cream was gross too!

Chopstix said:
Anyone been to The Stinking Rose? It's a restaurant in L.A. that pays homage to garlic...

I went to the Stinking Rose in San Francisco about 15-20 years ago. It wasn't as nice as the LA restaurant sounds. The food was forgettable. The waiter recommended we skip the garlic ice cream and go to a nearby Italian bakery for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom