Roasted garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why roast it and keep it? Garlic is extremely cheap, and roasting it only takes a few minutes. But, i would not refrigerate it longer than 1-2 days.

When I roast garlic, I roast it for about an hour with a nice drizzle of olive oil and then wrap it in foil for the roasting.

It's hard not to jump into the oven with a loaf of italian bread when the aroma starts wafting about the house....

If I don't use it all during the meal I'm preparing, I'll rewrap it in fresh foil and then a baggie...and keep it in the fridge for a week.

i roast it because it smooths the and enhances the flavor. i want to store it because i hate to heat the oven for one or two bulbs. if i could store it roasted, i could cook 6 or 8 bulbs at a time. i'm thinking of freezing it in small containers.

I like to roast 3 or 4 heads of garlic at a time in lots of olive oil. When they are done, I separate the garlic from the oil and clean the cloves. Then I freeze each separately. it's great having those little gems available instantly and the garlic oil is wonderful to have on hand.

one bit of advice.... i remember a while back i roasted a couple of heads to make a roasted garlic aioli, then i vaccuum packed some of the remaining roasted garlic cloves and stored in the fridge for a couple weeks.... then i spotted the vaccum packing was inflated, surely botulism was thriving inside, as we know, this an anaerobic bacteria requiring no oxygen to exist and not only dangerous but can even be deadly!! so, i would definitely recommend against storing it more than a few days in the fridge

mugsy, i roast them at 350 in a tented aluminum foil with a vent for steam to escape

7s-
you nailed it...it's the botulism that concerns me. i think i'm just going to get a countertop toaster oven to roast garlic in. my whole issue is that i hate to heat up a huge oven to roast a head or two of garlic...

roasted garlic.

I would not risk leaving it for more than a week.
But u could preserve it indefinately, if u submerge it, in oil.
If u do this, make sure there is no garlic, not completely submerged. Otherwise, the part not submerged will go bad.
Mel

Mel! said:
But u could preserve it indefinately, if u submerge it, in oil.
Mel (and everyone else) please do not EVER do this. This is extremely dangerous and can kill you. This is the exact environment in which botulism thrives. 10 days max is how long you should keep garlic in oil in the fridge that you made yourself.

I hope I am not coming across as a party pooper, but I would hate to see someone get hurt and this is a recipe for serious pain and possibly death so I if I need to be seen as a wet blanket then so be it.

Seven S said:
one bit of advice.... i remember a while back i roasted a couple of heads to make a roasted garlic aioli, then i vaccuum packed some of the remaining roasted garlic cloves and stored in the fridge for a couple weeks.... then i spotted the vaccum packing was inflated, surely botulism was thriving inside, as we know, this an anaerobic bacteria requiring no oxygen to exist and not only dangerous but can even be deadly!! so, i would definitely recommend against storing it more than a few days in the fridge

mugsy, i roast them at 350 in a tented aluminum foil with a vent for steam to escape

As GB said, the anaerobic botulism will thrive anywhere!! it even thived in my vaccuum packed enclosures...

Botulism is definately not the only anaerobic bacteria that could have caused air in your vaccuum packed bags, and is really pretty rare. And botulism is actually not horribly dangerous most of the time (it can cause some serious digestive upset, but death very is rare and occurs in cases involving very young children, under the age of 12 or 18 months I think, and in elderly who are not well to begin with), and many things contain botulism which most people have no problem with, such as honey.

I was about to mention packing your cloves in oil... that's what we do at the restaurant i work at. However, the oil it gets packed in is the same oil the garlic is roasted in... and it probably gets up to at least 350, so bacteria are probably killed. This won't allow you to keep your garlic indefinitely, but it will extend its life for awhile. As GB said, don't keep it too long. I don't know an exact time frame, so I would say keep it under 10 days. We definitely go through all the garlic we roast before 10 days has passed. If this isn't an option for you, then perhaps freezing would be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom