Roasted Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Sorry Can't think of an apropriate forum for this.

James Martin on BBC1 Saturday kitchen made garlic butter roles that could be put in a fridge and you could cut lengths of it depending on how much garlic you wanted.

Roast garlic in an oven for 40 minutes? Didn't mention any temperature.

Any help on this?

P.S. I asume this would be rolled out using cling film. What is that tacky stuff in cling film. We are talking about food preperation here.

Last edited:
Garlic butter

I usually heat the oven to about 400°F/about 220°C. I use aluminium foil to put the garlic 'sausage' in. Time for cooking? Depends on how done you like your garlic, but it needs to be soft enough to be able to mix well with the butter.

di reston :yum:

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

You want the garlic to be nice and white when mixed into the butter. Roasting the garlic in tin foil will preserve the white color as long as the garlics are very slow roasted. High heat will turn the garlics a darker color.
Anyway.
This is how I make a garlic butter roll:
I take ten bulbs of garlic and break them into separate cloves. I take a very sharp knife and cut the bottom off each clove leaving the skin on. (The skins come off later very easily.)
Then into a pot of water with a pinch of Kosher salt added. I then slowly simmer the cloves until they are completely cooked and soft. Remove from simmering water, drain and fill the pot with cold tap water. Allow the cloves to thoroughly cool. Then simply squeeze the garlic out of it's skin. Then thoroughly mash then fold into a lb. of soft unsalted butter. I add in a little very fine chopped fresh parsley to give the roll some color. You can use salted butter. Then spatula the mixture onto some cling film and make a cigar shape about 1 1/2 '' in diameter. Refrigerate. You can freeze it but when I make it it's for using within a day or so.

Thanks puffin3

Looks like the garlik is being cooked twice one in teh oven at 220c (presume 40 minutes) Then into a pot of poing water as well.

Like the idea of tin foil and the seperation of the cloves.

What I had in mind was 10 garlic + 2 slabs of butter. The butter is melted in a saucepan and clarified at that time. A hand held blender because of the consituancy of the garlic and the butter + for decorative perposes lots of mint which is supposed to complement garlic?

Would it be better to roast the garlic as cloves?

I quit roasting garlic in the oven about 20 years ago when I bought a Garlic Express. Mine looks just like this one and it roasts up to 3 heads of garlic perfectly. The garlic pops out of the papery skin just like butter. I roast a lot of garlic to incorporate into bread dough.

I always thought heating the oven, especially in the summer, just to roast a few heads of garlic to be inefficient. The little roaster does it in far less time and shuts off automatically so the garlic isn't overdone.

I didn't pay much for the one we have, perhaps $25 USD and I was surprised to see how they've gone up when I searched on Amazon a few minutes ago. I imagine they could also be found on eBay for a reasonable price.

I just couldn't rationalize the energy and time it took to, first, preheat the oven, then to cook the garlic. Just didn't make sense to me.

As for making the butter you speak of, I can offer no advice except for the cooking method for the garlic.

I do mine on the stove in a pan with EVOO. Added bonus is I get garlic-infused oil. When I have things cioking in th oven, I will put afew heads in to roast. The roasted garlic freezes well.

I have a little terra cotta garlic roaster. I use it in the toaster oven, so I don't have to heat up the big oven.

You mean that little jug looking terra cota garlic holder is actually used for roasting garlic?
My wife bought it, and it sits on the counter with garlic stored in it.
It only holds about two big garlic heads.
And it has vents. Maybe my wife thought it was for storing and that's why its sitting on my counter and has never seen an oven? :LOL:

Like this? Yes, it's for roasting. You can see it's well used ;) I use this pretty bowl I got in a Mexican market in San Antonio to store my garlic.

Attachments

• 1453584887890.jpg
    1453584887890.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 160
Thanks puffin3

Looks like the garlik is being cooked twice one in teh oven at 220c (presume 40 minutes) Then into a pot of poing water as well.

Like the idea of tin foil and the seperation of the cloves.

What I had in mind was 10 garlic + 2 slabs of butter. The butter is melted in a saucepan and clarified at that time. A hand held blender because of the consituancy of the garlic and the butter + for decorative perposes lots of mint which is supposed to complement garlic?

Would it be better to roast the garlic as cloves?
No. I said IF you want to roast the garlic in tin foil don't overheat them.
I just slow simmer the whole uncooked garlics until thoughally cooked then make the roll.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom