Roasted Seaweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigjim68

Head Chef
Anybody know anything about this product? It showed up in Costco a week or so ago, never heard of it, nor do I have any idea what you would do with it.

I like to try new things, but I need an idea what I am doing.

Anybody know anything about this product? It showed up in Costco a week or so ago, never heard of it, nor do I have any idea what you would do with it.

I like to try new things, but I need an idea what I am doing.

Hi Jim, roasted seaweed (Nori), when in pressed sheets, is mostly used in the preparation of sushi and seaweed soups and salads.

With sushi, it's used as a wrap to contain other less formed types of neta (items in sushi). It can be used for an outer wrap with the seaweed presented in view, or as an inner wrap with only the top and bottom edges in view.

For soups and salads, it's generally either torn for soup or cut into thin strips for seaweed salads.

For much more information about it, here's the Wiki link:
Nori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I keep nori sheets (dried, roasted seaweed) on hand to, as Timothy has pointed out, add to soups. I'll add a few strips (fine shreds) to most any clear or broth-like soup just as I do with herbs or spices in place of regular salt. It also adds a slight earth-like flavor - umami.

I don't care for it in cream soups or heavy, gravy-based stews, but anything else that's seafood-based will be enhanced by it.

I use it for Onagiri, rice balls. I also love snacking on it, as is. I also make deconstructed Sushi...too lazy to roll it.

Back
Top Bottom