"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Head Chef

Roasting and storing garlic

How do you roast and store garlic? For roasting, most sources say to cut off the end of the head, drizzle a little olive oil on the cut end, and roast for 40 minutes or so at 350 - 375. Others suggest separating and peeling individual cloves, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, then roast in a covered ovenproof dish.

Freezing is the recommended storage method, as 2 weeks is the maximum in the fridge. Some recommend freezing the cloves on a baking sheet, and then keeping them in a sealed container. Others recommend freezing them in ice cube trays (some suggest with a bit of extra olive oil), storing in a plastic container, and break off what you need as required. What works best for you?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You can roast it and freeze it.

Or you can blanch the cloves for 1 minute, cool them, peel them, chop and store in butter/oil in the freezer.

Joy's Garlic

Methods To Store Garlic

Freezing. Peeled and chopped or sliced garlic can be mixed with oil or water and frozen in ice cube trays, then stored in zip lock bags. Or it may be chopped, mixed with oil, stored flat in zip lock bags in the freezer. (this is one method I use)

Dehydrating. Whole or sliced or chopped, dehydrated, it can be stored this way in sealed jars or bags, or ground into a powder. (this is another method I use)

Canning or canning in oil. Although garlic canned or jarred in oil is available in the supermarkets, there are no approved home canning methods of canning garlic. Please consult the Ball Blue Book and University Extension offices methods and for more information.

Storing in oil. It should only be kept in oil less than a week and refrigerated. There is a botulism risk with storing herbs and garlic in oil and I don't recommend this method.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Head Chef

I just roast whole heads (at times, half a dozen heads at a time), wrap or vacuum pack and freeze.. Has worked well for years..

Ross
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

If you roast the whole head, wouldn't you need to use the whole head up the next time you cook? I don't cook for a great number of people. Just for myself or my daughter. Would I be better off just using fresh each time?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I roast the whole head as you described. I wouldn't expect to have much if any leftovers. I wouldn't plan to keep the roasted garlic more than a few days.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat View Post
If you roast the whole head, wouldn't you need to use the whole head up the next time you cook? I don't cook for a great number of people. Just for myself or my daughter. Would I be better off just using fresh each time?
If you buy a small head, it will yield a few Tbsps after squeezing. If you have never had it, it is entirely different than raw. It mellows out what some describe as harshness. I've used it as a spread on toast by itself. I add a pinch of kosher salt before roasting.

Has anyone used black garlic?
Old 11-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Has anyone used black garlic?
You picked my interest and had to research Black Garlic. Interesting Garlic variation.
Have you ever test it ?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4food View Post
You picked my interest and had to research Black Garlic. Interesting Garlic variation.
Have you ever test it ?
We have a container of it and so far have made a congee with it. Recipe was from some Top Chef episode.

Tags
garlic, roast