"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Baked Pork Chops...that's what I would call them.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
... getting back to my original question on pork chops seared in oil also known as pan roasting and finishing up in oven. What do you call it roasted pork chops or baked pork chops?

Getting back to my earlier answer. This term is used interchangeably by different people. If you sear a piece of meat in a pan on the stove top then move it to the oven to finish cooking, it's pan roasting. If another person calls this process baking, it doesn't change the result. Different people call the process by different names.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Head Chef

Just a thought. Going back to our past discussions about the problem of adjusting time and temperature for changing depth of cake batter, we recognized that increasing the depth (such as putting a two pan recipe in one pan of similar diameter) without changing the temperature makes it impossible to properly cook the batter without over cooking the surface. We have to reduce the heat and increase the time.

The point is that we usually think of roasting as a process that results in a well browned surface or crust. With the example of potatoes, roasted is expected to have a brown, crisp surface. Baked lacks that crust. Both leave the potato cooked through. But is the difference a difference of time and temperature. Not really. But we happen to most often cut up potatoes to roast, because we want as much of that well browned surface as possible. We leave the skin on the baked potato and leave the potato whole, because we don't want it crusted. The skin protects it and is really what makes it baked or roasted. Or for roasting, we choose a thin skin potato.

That approach breaks down with something like a chicken. I think most people bake a chicken by covering it, at least for most of the time. And they roast it uncovered or cover it after the crust develops. But again, it's back to what we want for the surface, whatever we do to control it. The results may not be much different between the two. But that gets to what I think is a large part of why there are two terms.

Doesn't roasting sound richer? More evocative of holidays and feasts? More classy? More skilled? And doesn't baking, by comparison, sound more routine, more day to day, more pedestrian? More Wednesday night dinner for the family than Sunday afternoon formality? Did anyone ever salivate to the phrase "baked goose"? Has anyone "baked" a duck? And when someone says "baked chicken," I'm more likely to think of it dismembered and baked in a pan than whole. "Roast" just sounds more impressive, more primitive, and, somehow, richer tasting. If you're inviting company to dinner, would say the chicken will be baked, or would you say roasted? Of course you would.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Could somebody please queue the Jaws (movie) theme song?

Mumu, if you roast it then it's roasted pork chops. If you bake it then it's baked pork chops. N'est-ce pas?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I roast chickens, pork loins and standing roasts on a rotisserie...no baking about it. Over oak or mesquite in the summer, and when it's wet or cold or both, in the kitchen on an old Farberware electric rotisserie. Makes the whole house smell mmmmmmmm...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Half Baked

Andy may be on to something with the addition of a fat.
Baked taters don't have it, roasted do.
Roasted chicken is usually drizzled with some oil/fat.
Baked is not (breaded)
Fish....same thing!
Broiled is heated from the top in my book.(still dry heat)

Pan roasted to me means only one thing. Seared thenroasted in an oven.
If it is only cooked in the pan, then it is sauteed/fried/deep fried depending on heat and amount of fat used.

poached/boiled/simmered are equivalant to their heat and amounts of liquid too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I should quit brushing my focaccia with olive oil then.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I was under the understanding you roast things with structure, you bake things that form structure. People use the terms interchangeably, though that doesn't make it proper it makes it common.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Mumu, you're definately overthinking this.

At base, there is no difference. Baking and roasting are methods of cooking food by surrounding it with dry heat. The process is the same.

In general, the word "baking" is used when there is breading of some sort involved. So, we bake bread. We bake proteins that have been breaded. Etc. But we roast whole cuts, and pieces that have not been breaded.

But there are exceptions. We bake whole potatoes, but roast cut ones, for instance.

Whether a particular recipes says "baked pork chops" or "roasted pork chops," however, is more a matter of convention than definition.

As to your specific question, I wouldn't call it pan roasting at all. To me, the process you described is pan frying. The approach is to brown the chops in very little oil, then finish cooking them in the oven. If I were putting that dish on a menu, neither "baking" nor "roasting" would be part of the description.

Here's a question for you: Why does it matter? It's obviously of some concern to you, so I'm curious as to why.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Andy may be on to something with the addition of a fat.
Baked taters don't have it, roasted do.
Roasted chicken is usually drizzled with some oil/fat.
Baked is not (breaded)
Fish....same thing!
Broiled is heated from the top in my book.(still dry heat)...
I am NOT saying that the difference between roasting and baking is fat. I gave a specific example for potatoes as the OP asked that question.

Also, cut up chicken doesn't have to be breaded to be called baked.

I think everybody is trying to put too fine a point on this.

Tags
baking