"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
...As to your specific question, I wouldn't call it pan roasting at all. To me, the process you described is pan frying. The approach is to brown the chops in very little oil, then finish cooking them in the oven. If I were putting that dish on a menu, neither "baking" nor "roasting" would be part of the description...

Pan roasting is a recognized term for the process.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Could somebody please queue the Jaws (movie) theme song?

Mumu, if you roast it then it's roasted pork chops. If you bake it then it's baked pork chops. N'est-ce pas?
Funny, isn't it. Baked fish, but never roasted fish. I'm inclined to baked pork chops, because they are "pieces." But roast pork when they're not cut, not chopped.

Four and twenty blackbirds are baked in a pie but roasted individually.

(Have you ever seen how they actually did that blackbird pie thing and had the birds fly away when it was cut open?)

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Mumu, you're definately overthinking this.

And underlistening to excellent and complete answers
Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
(Have you ever seen how they actually did that blackbird pie thing and had the birds fly away when it was cut open?)

No, but I like the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
And underlistening to excellent and complete answers
Perhaps there's a reason for that.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Also, and forgive me if I missed it already, but roasting typically means that the food is also OFF the bottom of the pan, and air is allowed all around the 'roast', be it by a v-rack, or a bed of course cut vegetables.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Head Chef

Live blackbird pie:

From surviving instructions, it sounds like they built a typically very heavy pie crust and top filled with flour that they later removed through a hole in the bottom and inserted the birds through the hole.

Sixteenth century pastry chefs apparently had to be especially creative to make things like the combination of pastry warship and pastry castle, both with pastry cannons charged with real gunpowder that could be set off by lighting powder trains so that they fire on each other. On the same table, a pastry stag has an arrow through it so that the ladies can be invited to withdraw the arrow and upon doing so, the red wine inside the stag "bleeds." And the whole setup flanked by pies, one with live birds, another with live frogs. It seems to have been popular to have begun formal dinners with chaos and screaming, especially as the candles were placed so that the birds would put them out in flying away, making the frog thing even more exciting in the dark.

Maybe they were afraid that they otherwise wouldn't have anything to talk about over dinner.

(Actually, the original description says to make the guns of "kickses." I have no idea what kickses are, or where. It later seems to mean breeches or a kind of plant. Neither seems right.)
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
In Danish, the word "kiks" means cracker or biscuit. That seems closer.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Executive Chef

GLC I presume those dishes were meant as entertainment, and not intended to be consumed as food.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Head Chef

Considering the sort of crowd that would have been amused by live frog pie, nothing would surprise me.

(Ummmm. Crunchy frog.)
Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
Senior Cook

roasting/baking

I would like to address Historic foodie...why I ask this question,simply because of what joy of cooking said. Roasting is a special type of baking,and seem like there was a difference between baking and roasting besides the same heat process. Also, if you read Tattrat answer "but roasting typical means.......,you kinda get from him he has determined what the roasting processes is. And doing research on the web sites,finding a lot of people say roasting (process)and associate it with carmlizeing....crusty skin ,surface.(just like pan roasting and others say no that's not....its pan frying) We learn from each other. Also was not sure how people could say roasting only applied to meats and veg. When you clearly have baked chicken and that is a meat. So that is why I ask.Maybe to some I am over thinking it ,but to me I don't think so. Just trying to learn the cooking terms.
But, anyways Thanks to you all for all the help.

Tags
baking