Rockfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Last week I cooked my very first rockfish filet and the husband loved it. I bought and cooked up another this week. He asked if we could have it once a week. I'm thrilled as he's never been a big fish guy unless it's battered and deep fried alongside some fries. There's only one problem. The majority of the recipes I'm finding for it are full of butter! That's ok once in a while, but it kind of defeats the purpose of eating fish if I do it every week. This week I went a little lighter with onions, garlic, a touch of butter, lemon, ginger, a bit of honey and a splash of chicken broth, and at some point I plan to try a preparation we feature at work with tomato, garlic, onions, green olives and golden raisins, but I don't have a ton of experience cooking or even eating cooked fish and need more ideas. I've always been a bit more of a sushi/sashimi girl. Any tasty, healthy suggestions? I'm not sure I can sell him on plain lemon and sea salt.

how about a teryaki marinade, then broiled or grilled?

or, you can always add fish to a thin tomato, basil, and garlic sauce. develop the sauce with some clam juice or anchovy paste, then just poach the filets in the sauce for a minute or two.

or, flour and sautee in evoo with just a little butter, lemon juice, minced shallot, and fresh chopped parsley.

if you have a whole fish, stuff the body cavity with thin sliced veggies, fresh herbs, and evoo, and bake until the meat flakes from the bones. serve with the baked "gut" veggies and rice.

hth. :chef:

You could make a pouch of foil for the fish and steam it in the oven with seasoning - en pappilote. Try scallions, garlic, ginger, soy, white wine and pepper. Add some oyster sauce too.

Mix 1/2 cup bread crumbs, a tsp of salt, and 1/2 cup Kraft parmesan cheese (NOT the real stuff or it won't work!) Place your fillets on a baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with the crumb mixture. Drizzle olive oil over top to "set" the breading and bake in the oven. Killer tasty!

You could make a pouch of foil for the fish and steam it in the oven with seasoning - en pappilote. Try scallions, garlic, ginger, soy, white wine and pepper. Add some oyster sauce too.

How do you temp it? Just open it up and check with a thermometer? or is there a good time estimate?

Another suggestion using foil.

Ingredients are;

* Tomato
* Garlic
* Onions
* Ginger
* Pepper
* Salt
* Soy sauce

Procedures:

Mix all ingredients and until it is leveled. Clean fish and put mixed ingredients inside the fish. Put into a foil and add a little soy sauce. Wrap it and fry or steam. :)

Glad to see you and hub diggin' rockfish, which is a bit "fishier" than other seafood. It holds together pretty well in soups/stews, too.

That's part of why he likes it so much, the texture, I mean. It feels like it has a little more substance.

Another suggestion using foil.

Ingredients are;

* Tomato
* Garlic
* Onions
* Ginger
* Pepper
* Salt
* Soy sauce

Procedures:

Mix all ingredients and until it is leveled. Clean fish and put mixed ingredients inside the fish. Put into a foil and add a little soy sauce. Wrap it and fry or steam. :)

All these togather? I've never had tomato and ginger or soy sauce. I'll have to give it a whirl!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom